We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Kaunas

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
285 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Kaunas

We are spending 2 days in Kaunas i August and I need hel with the itinery.

Day 1:

Old Town, Christ's Resurrection Church, National M. K. Ciurlionis Art Museum, Laisves aleja , Devil's Museum, Vytautas the Great Bridge , St. Gertrude's Church, Military Museum of Vytautas the Great

Day 2:Ninth Fort , Pazaislis Monastery

Is this too much? We are a family of 4 (children are teenage) and we are used to travelling. Is it better to have a car for day 2? We will be getting a car anyway the following day since we will be travelling to other cities in Lithuania.

Would it be possible to fit in Rumsiskes Open-Air Museum in either of the days?

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Kaunas

Your 1st day is the Old Town only, nothing more. Half of the objects are almost next to each other, Čiurlionis museum and War museum are in the same building (entrances from the opposite sides). Nothing special, concerning time. Doable on a vary slow pace.

9th fort and Pažaislis are at the opposite ends of the town, Rumšiškės is at the 3rd edge of the town :) .

9th fort could be doable on a first day, but it's on the intersection of A5 and A1 roads, so if you'll be driving anyway, you can stop there enroute. "Intersection" is a large viaduct, you have to enter from the A5 road. And from there you can drive any direction.

Pažaislis, as well as 9th fort, is reachable by public transport (city bus), but again, it is a suburb and you will be totally dependent on the bus schedule and location of the bus stop itself. There is a dam and 5th fort in vicinity, and a nice Girionys Park on the opposite side of Kaunas Reservoir, there is a nice spot in the Park where Pažaislis Monastery can be seen in a distance, very picturesque and photogenic, foreigners don't go there. By car it all is within several min distance apart and you don't need to stay in one place more than necessary. Without the car you have to know the bus schedule, correct bus number, its route and the right direction. Some 15 min to the wrong direction and you lose about 1 hr. But save on fuel :D .

Rumšiškės is the place for ~1 full day if weather is good. It's not far from Pažaislis, Vilnius direction. Not reachable by foot or city bus - too far. Need to take a suburban bus. By car from Pažaislis to Rumšiškės takes 30 minutes. By public transport you can get from Pažaislis to the road in 30 minutes, but don't know what one can do there on the road, it's a complicated industrial district, few buses go and typically towards centre, not to Rumšiškės which is away from the centre.

If it was me, i'd combine Pažaislis and Rumšiškės, and maybe some other things in vicinity that are (or may be) interesting to me into 1 one-day trip. 5th fort, btw, is not a museum, just an abandoned fort. Airsofters use it sometimes.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
285 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Kaunas

Are you suggesting that we visit all the places I mentioned including ninth fort in the first day if we have a car available while visiting Pazaislis and Rumsiskes on the second day? I'm asking to make sure i understood correctly. Where is the park you mentioned from where Rumsiskes can be seen? Thank-you

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Kaunas

"...including ninth fort in the first day ..." - definitely if you have a car. If you'll have the car only when you leave Kaunas, then same day when you leave - go there at 10:00, visit the fort, and then continue your journey. Exposition don't work on Tuesdays; working hours - Monday, Wednesday and Sunday 10:00-18:00, it probably about the working hours "inside the buildings" and "guided excursions"; and the "exposition" means the site itself. Visiting undergrounds is allowed only with a guide.

9th fort is somewhat not so far from the Old Town, especially by car. On the way there is also the 7th fort, another museum was established there recently (by former director of the 9th fort museum) - http://www.karopaveldas.lt/?lang=en .

Both Pažaislis and Rumšiškės on a second day, by car, yes, that's what i suggest.

From the park Pažaislis Monastery can be seen, not Rumšiškės. It is across Kaunas Reservoir, in front of Pažaislis Monastery. In Girionys suburb. Some 5 minutes from Pažaislis by car. Coordinates of the site 54°51'22.56"N, 24°2'13.93"E - enter into GoogleMaps search line and you'll see it. leave your car somewhere at 54°51'19.38"N, 24°2'48.48"E , the park is by the left side, the arboretum is by the right side, the buildings you can see belong to Forest Research Institute.

Kaunas Castle working hours Tuesday-friday - 10:00-18:00, saturday - 10:00-17:00.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
285 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Kaunas

Thanks a lot!

5. Re: 2 days in Kaunas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kaunas