We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vilnius to klaipeda

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
vilnius to klaipeda

Hi,

I am planning to visit Baltic countries at the end of May alone

1/ how many days to you recommand me in Vilnius ?

I think one full day + a second including Trakai, is it enough to see more important things ?

2/ some friend suggest me to go to klaipeda

is it the good period to got there at the end of may ?

the more important question is how to go there ?

normally, that will be Friday 21 May, I checked eurolines website but no buses are mentionned on this way (even 20, 22.. may)

what else is possible about transport from vilnius?

I found bus after from Klaipeda to Riga.

Klaipeda (+nida) and Vilnius (+trakai)

do you any other cities to suggest me in Lithuania if I stay 3 or 4 days?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

Was there 2 weeks ago.

My suggestions:

- Allow 2 full days for Vilnius then you don't have to rush to see things.

- One day-trip to Trakai.

- From Vilnius to Klaipeda you can take the train. It takes about 4-5 hours and

costs around 51 Lita. Only 3 trains per day.

- From Klaipeda you can go to Nida.

Are you only going to spend 4 days in Lithuania? If so then I suggest you do only Vilnius & Trakai. And maybe Kaunas if you insist on seeing more.

How are you going to Vilnius?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

Thanks Damsca for your quick and helpful answer

I planned

flight from Nice to Vilnius

Vilnuis and trakai (2 full days)

klapeida and Nida (1 full day)

Riga + sigulda, cesis (3)

tartu (1)

Tallin (3)

Helsinki (3)

St Petersburgh (4)

I will travel on my own

bus bus or train (but local people do not recommand me train)

I have the possibilities of 20 days in total

it's just a first schedule

if you have any suggestion, with pleasure

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

Hi.

Agree with Damsca. Skip Klaipėda and add extra day to Riga and/or St Peter. Riga is larger than Vilnius. Cesis and Sigulda are 2 different towns both worth a visit, and they are relatively far away from Riga (= it takes time to get there and back).

And St Peter is a huge city, it takes much more time to get from one place to another, compared to the Baltics. Add at least 1 extra day.

Klaipėda is a sea port, that is a main difference from Vilnius, but all the other capitals you're going to are the sea ports.

Nida is a resort town. You can go to Jūrmala near Riga instead, it's not the same, but Jūrmala is the resort town near the Baltic sea, same sea, same sands, so you'll get the impression.

End of May is not a good time to go to the sea resorts, but in case of Jūrmala it would be OK as it's next to Riga, connection is good, and to get a general impression (and to relax a bit at the same time) would be quite reasonable.

Don't worry about getting between the places. Just go to the bus station and either buy a ticket at the ticket office, or right in a bus (if you decide to go to Klaipėda or Kaunas, or elswhere). To Riga you can buy a ticket in advance, there is a separate ticket office for the international routes.

Train to Klaipėda (or elswhere) is OK. I know that local people do not recommend the train (usually they go everywhere by car haha) and i just don't know why exactly :D . I'm local too. Train to Klaipėda is OK, but the route is not straight, it is exelent option if you go to Šiauliai (or, say, from Šiauliai to Klaipėda), but for direct connection the bus Vilnius-Klaipėda is better. To go to Nida one have to go Smiltynė by ferry (10 min every ~60 min) and then take a bus Smiltynė-Nida, every ~hour or so.

But you better skip Klaipėda.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

It is very sad that such people as "tadasmm" are saying such many wrong things about Lithuania and its beauty. Maybe he should work some with tourism, and visit more Lithuanian places in real...

Edited: 17 February 2010, 09:44
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

In my humble opinion, Klaipeda is nothing so special. But Nida is definitely one the most beautiful things you can ever see. The only problem is that it is very hard to reach - you have to go to Klaipeda, take a ferry, and then get a bus to Nida. It's very far but it's worth it - the nature there is unbelievable. But you need to have a certain attitude in you to enjoy it - this is wild nature, sea, sand, dunes, and forests. If you are a party person, you will most likely not like it there. If I could only take my foreign friends to one place in Lithuania, I would not be able to decide if it is Nida or Vilnius. But, as already said - very hard and long to reach, therefore unsitable for a day trip from Vilnius, needs at least 2 days.

Train is the most convenient mode of transport to get from Vilnius to Klaipeda. It is modern, has a buffet, toilets etc. and is cheaper than bus. I use it all the time. From Klaipeda to Riga there are buses and even planes (AirBaltic).

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

"...But Nida is definitely one the most beautiful things you can ever see .... ... the nature there is unbelievable..."

That's right, just one should take into account that the end of May is not the best time to see the "beauties" and the weather is hardly predictable. It may be quite warm and sunny in Vilnius, but still eerie cold in Nida because of the strong freezing wind. All that is a part of the nature and its beauty, but it's not for everyone and certainly not for party person :D.

And OP is planning to come here in the end of May. If it was later, in summer, and the summer happens to be warm, then all Curonian Spit worth a visit and to spend as much time there as possible.

7. Re: vilnius to klaipeda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius
Recent Conversations