We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilnius in October?

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vilnius in October?

. Vilnius in October?

I am considering a weekend trip to Vilnius in (early) October. I have other plans for summer, so that time is the only option.

It will most likely be a solo trip this time around. I did a recent one to Vienna and really enjoyed it... (I know the cities are quite different). But in essence I enjoy the same things in cities. Drink coffee and read, culture/history, look at people - just trying to get a sense of a city (I know that is all you can accomplish in 48 hours.

I have never been to any of the Baltic countries, but I have been to Warsaw (enjoyed that by the way, but it was August 2009 and brilliant weather. ;). I see another poster discussing it in comparison with Krakow, but I have never been there either.

Questions:

1. How is the weather most likely going to be in October? Is it too cold and dark to wander around the city?

2. Does Vilnius look and feel a little like Warsaw (apart from not being reconstructed from scratch)?

3. Would you recommend Vilnius? (If not, what other city would you recommend in the area?

Thanks in advance!

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
351 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilnius in October?

1. Impossible to tell at the moment. Usually the autumn rains only start in November, but no one can guarantee good weather for you in October.

2. Not really been to Warsaw, can't tell you.

3. Definitely! Culture and history there is plenty, and the people are really interesting. There are many charmful things, including the narrow streets and the wonderful greenery.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilnius in October?

Thank you. I think I am convinced.

When you say the people are interesting, could you elaborate a little?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilnius in October?

Debating between Krakow & Vilnius, we decided on Vilnius for end June.

But now it seems we may have to push it back to September (avoiding the tourist rush of July August).

Which period would be a good time in September... to see Fall colors & attend the concerts in the churches. Does it get cold & dark soon in September.

Between June end & September, which is a better time to go?

4. Re: Vilnius in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius