We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
flights

I've been searching for a direct flights from the midlands (EMS or BHX or Leeds/bradford) to Vilnius.. without luck - I have even tried Stanstead...... Is this impossible please....is anyone able to help please?

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights

Try star1 from stansted

http://www.star1.lt/frontpage.jsp?menuId=10

failing that you may have to look at Ryanair from Birmingham,Luton or Stansted to Kaunas & make your way from there to Vilnius

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights

Just to add that there are indirect flights to Vilnius from East Midlands,Birmingham etc but some of them have crazy connections & you'd definitely be in Vilnius quicker by taking direct flights to Kaunas than you would be by taking the indirect flights to Vilnius.The link below is for flights from Birmingham to Vilnius in october & you can see the indirect options available to you.

skyscanner.ie/flights/bhx/vno/october-2010/o…

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights

Hi thank you - yes i found flights with 1 or more stops but you're right i dont want to do that.. I am also looking at travelling march 2010....I considered kaunas.. but read (ryanair web site i think) that its 100km and may take 80 minutes to transfer to vilnius.. for a weekend / 3/4nights my other half will consider too long travelling... but we will see..thanks again for your help...(riga was our other thought but thats just as bad for direct flights from the midlands!)

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
351 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights

Well, to Vilnius your only options are Star1 from Stansted or Kaunas from Birmingham (although this connection has fewer flights per week. Kaunas airport is a 100 km drive from Vilnius, so it would be about 70-80 minutes transfer. You know, most people from Vilnius don't mind a 80 minute drive to Kaunas if they want to go to the Midlands.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights

thank you I will look at star1... and reconsider the birmingham kaunas option.....any thought on how much a taxi would be from kaunas to vilnius - or is train a possibility please?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights

pliumbum ..thank you- have found the flights from stanstead.. question from husband.. is the airpot actually in vilnuis please- also do you recommend any hotels or good B&B's in th old town?

Has anyolne booked with star1... their poleicy re luggage can be misconstude.. is 20k 1 bag really free??????

looking to visit next march when i hope its cold and maybe lucky with some snow??????

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
351 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights

The taxi from Kaunas airport to Vilnius would cost quite much, but I am not sure about the exact price. I would expect 40-50 pounds. There is a minibus service direct to Vilnius at a price of about 10 pounds. Also, you can try to book a private transfer, there are some people offering this in this same forum.

Now about Star1 from Stansted. I have flown with them 3 times. The 20kg 1 bag is really free. The airport is actually in Vilnius, it takes only about 15-20 minutes by bus or train to reach the city centre. Bus no. 1 goes to bus/train station (they are next to each other), bus no. 2 goes to other places in the centre, and the train goes to the train/bus station.

March is the month when the snow begins to melt, but you might be lucky to see it. Or to see it melting :)

I cannot recommend any hotels, as I live in Vilnius and do not know any of them :)

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights

pliumbum... thank you you have been very helpful and when i start putting our itinery together I shall no doubt ask more questions....

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights

Just to add STAR 1 are bankrupt..... yea lost my money at the moment....

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights

Just to add if anyone hears of new flights direct from UK to Vilnius -please put something on this post.... thank you

Get answers to your questions about Vilnius