We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Which Vilnius hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

We are having our wedding in Vilnius during the summer and have people coming over from Ireland. We are recomending palces to see and would like to know if there is anywhere/anything interesting we are missing. So far weve recommended

The genocide museum

the national museum

the castle

the cathederal

gates of dawn

tv tower

and for shopping akropolis

Any other suggestions be appreciated

Lithuania
Level Contributor
119 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Republic of Uzupis

www.vilnius-tourism.lt/topic.php…

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Another vote for Uzupis!

And a day trip to Trakai...

Vilnius, Lithuania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Hey,

I will add Trakai trip as well, the older capital of Lithuania (~30km from Vilnius);

I will add City Town Hall (Didzioji str.);

If you have a posibility to drive with car - Belmontas is a nice place to spent few hours in the nature, it is only 10min drive from Uzupis;

For a night cozy evening:

Bar cozy,

Cafe de Paris (Pilies str)

Skonis ir Kvapas (Traku str)

Hope you enjoy it ;]

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

You hit most of the things we did in Vilnius. During our stay in Vilnius we arranged a tour of the Cathedral Crypt but they don't do the tour in English - however someone in your hotel may know an authorized guide. Trakai was also interesting as a Day trip and for history background. Another odd but good place if you like history was the Pharmacy Museum in Kaunas - guided tour very good.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Another yes for Uzupis,Trakai & Belmontas.We visited Belmontas by taxi,a lovely scenic place to chill out for a couple of hours.

I 'll also add,Panerai Memorial Museum

www.muziejai.lt/vilnius/zydu_muziejus.en.htm

The church of Saint Peter & Saint Paul

http://www.vilnius-life.com/culture/culture_details/24-Church_of_SS_Peter_&_Paul

The Hill of 3 crosses(The view alone from up there is worth the effort)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Crosses

& for good beer brewed on the premises,Prie Katedros on Gedimino

Wigan UK
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Another vote for Uzupis, agree with your choices

except for maybe the National museum, sadly we found it pretty boring.

also there was a Russian orthodox church Can't remember the name but its near the gates of dawn, I thought this was the most impressive church we visited

Vilnius, Lithuania
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

Uzupis, Trakai definitely should be added.

Belmontas - if you'd like to see a small peace of nature and fragments of the old mill. Before reconstruction it was a very romantic place ;-) The rest of the complex is constructed during last 10 years and now being quite crowded.

Vilnius Old city is not large - I'd suggest just to plan a trip by foot starting from Gates of Dawn (the orthodox church mentioned above is just few meters from here, you'll see) and then down to the Old City. It is very short distance from Gates of Dawn to the Gediminas Castle and the Cathedral - going directly with stops max 1-1.5 h. I'd also have a look to Vilnius University.

IMHO, for shopping I prefer Berlin or London (I born and bred in Vilnius), as our assortment is too "modest" but prices high.

Hope it would help ;-)

Edited: 24 May 2011, 18:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

If you want to see something different and definitely very unique you must visit Snipiskes area ( its 5 minutes from Central Vilnius. Its just opposite Europa shopping centre , if you go behind the shopping centre to –Giedraiciu street , Krokuvos street, Fino street, Silutes street , Daugeliskiu street. Its a very old area of Vilnius and very unique. Its like a small village in the city centre, old houses just behind high skyscrapers, you can see people who still doesn’t have water or electricity! Its not dangerous at day time but I REALLY don’t recommend going there at night as you might get yourself into trouble. Hovewer at day time its a lovely place to go !

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

I could also recomend you to go to Belmontas . Amazing place to visit , beautiful surroundings, waterfalls and great restaurants ! perfect place to spend your day out , have lunch and take some stunning pictures . check out the website for more info : http://www.belmontas.lt/

10. Re: Vilnius sites to see - Anywhere Im missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius
Recent Conversations