We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer & food prices

Which Vilnius hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hull
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Beer & food prices

We are visiting Vilnius for four days in August. We have been told that Lithuania is more expensive than Estonia and Latvia. As we found Tallinn to be extremely expensive, we want to ensure that we bring plenty of spends. What can we expect to pay for a beer and meal?

Kongsberg, Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer & food prices

Local beer 9LTL (arround 2.5Eur) Guinness around 12LTL (3.5Eur) depends on restaurant level.

Meal prices are around 10Eur per person and up to 50Eur at top level restaurants.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer & food prices

Nonsense, Lithuania (with the exception of Nida, Palanga and other seaside places) is the cheapest. A beer should cost you 5 lt to 10 lt (1.5-3 euros), and a meal - in a chain restaurant 15-20 litas (4.5-6 euros), in better restaurants anywhere from 30 to 50 litas (9-15 euros).

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer & food prices

9 litas for local beer? wow, never heard of it. normal price is 5-7 litas for o,5 liter (local beer always cheeper than some imported stuff). meal, depends on where you you eat can cost 15 to the tops lt. form baltic countries Lithuania is cheepest one.

CT
Level Contributor
126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer & food prices

We visited Lithuania in 2010 and I thought meals and hotels were a real bargain. Heading back again in a couple of weeks and I'll be interested to see if prices have changed that much. Our hotel in Kaunas is much more expensive but that's because we'll be there during the basketball tournament. We could not avoid those dates as we'll be attending my cousin's wedding.

Oslo, Norway
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer & food prices

I was in lithuania sone weekend ago and booked a package through a tour operator, www.nbtours.com

They fixed everything with ordering hotel, pick up in airport, and also included a dinner in restaurant. Was much cheaper to book via that agency compare of i would do it myself.

Is cheaper in lithuania than Tallinn and Riga, but You have to know where to go

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer & food prices

LIke all the Baltic (and now, Balkan) capitols, Vilnius touts itself as "The New Prague," which is shorthand for beautiful, charming and affordable. All true.

Like all modern cities, if you want to spend a lot of money on food and drink, you certainly can. Tallin was probably expensive because Old Town is almost purely for tourists. Vilnius Old Town is less touristy and more "local"; there is are plenty of options for affordable victuals...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer & food prices

Tallinn USED TO be cheap before they went to the EURO last year; now they are much more expensive. Whoever told you Tallinn was cheaper was probably there before the EURO.

LT is still fairly cheap when it comes to food, beer and entertainment. It's certainly cheaper than say Rome or Paris or other European capitals.

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer & food prices

tallin was never cheap, prices there are about 1,5 times higher than in any other cities in estonia. now with euro probably even more.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer & food prices

I disagree; when I lived in Tallinn in 2009, I found the prices to be quite cheap, at least compared to most Western Europe/US prices.

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer & food prices

we are talking about baltic countries there, not us/wester europe. and still, compared to other estonian cities it was and is about 1,5 times more expensive. in latvia and lithuania there never were such big difference.