We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilnuis to Warsaw

mission viejo, ca
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Vilnuis to Warsaw

Could someone give us a suggestion what is the best way to travel from Vilnius to either Warsaw or Gdansk. We looked at planes and the only way that seems economical is a non cancellable flight. What about a train or a bus. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Vilnius
Vilnius
Vilnius County, Lithuania
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Gdansk
Gdansk
Pomerania Province, Poland
Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

Most people here will prefer bus, quite a number of different companies (SimpleExpress, Ecolines etc.) + not very expensive. But if you a fan of trains, then it's also possible, there is everyday train Kaunas-Sestokai-Warsaw (13:00-20:50), Vilnius-Kaunas trains run often

Mentioned in this post
Kaunas
Kaunas
Kaunas County, Lithuania
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Vilnius
Vilnius
Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

bus is about ten times cheaper. check simple express. if you book tickets, you can get them for 3 euros one way.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

Vilnius to warsaw will be a very long trip.

It's possible to find some really cheap prices like 10$ one way but it's like over 8 hours ride. Train is also long & I paid about 50$ last year.

for flights try this

www.skyscanner.net

good site to find cheap flghts.. anything under 150-200$ is a good price 1 way

Hope that helps

Mentioned in this post
Vilnius
Vilnius
Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

Hi there. Im travelling from warsaw to vilnius . The bus company simple express or eurolines - does it pass through belarus or any russian border? Thanks

LT
Level Contributor
857 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

None of the routes pass neither through Belarus nor through Russia. Such routes doesn't exist and you won't be able to buy a wrong ticket by mistake.

Mentioned in this post
Belarus
Belarus
Europe
Russia
Russia
Europe
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,980 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

I must admit, the idea of being trapped on a cramped bus all day (or worse, all night) with my knees in the small of someone's back does not appeal. A backward step from the comfortable trains we all took 30 years ago, when budget airlines hadn't been thought of and nor had upstart long-distance bus services.

Fortunately, there's a daily train service between Vilnius and Warsaw.

It leaves Vilnius at 11:15 and Kaunas at 13:00, arriving Warsaw Centralna at 20:50.

You must change trains at both Kaunas and Sestokai, at Sestokai this is a simple cross-platform change between the 5' Russian-gauge Lithuanian train and the Polish 4' 8.5" standard-gauge train. No, it doesn't go through Belarus, so no problem.

Bought at the station in Vilnius, Vilnius to Warsaw is 84 Litas (£22 or €25). Just buy on the day, it's easy.

There is no buffet or restaurant car, so bring your own food, wine or beer (unlike a bus, no rules about that) and enjoy the ride!

Edited: 26 March 2013, 13:59
Mentioned in this post
Vilnius
Vilnius
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Kaunas
Kaunas
Kaunas County, Lithuania
Belarus
Belarus
Europe
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

I travel with ecolines bus Vilnius- Warsaw, then Vilnius- Berlin and so on - they offered the best prices...but there was no problem with my knees (I am quite high :)). One trip I was sitting in second floor in first place, so I had a lot of place. Next time the stewardess offered us empty sits, so everyone had 2 sits :)) One trip we didn't have enough time to buy a food...fortunately, they offer us a food in the bus! I don't remember what we were eating (maybe burger), but we were so hungry that everything was so delicious :)))

The trip with bus Vilnius-Warsaw takes about 8 hours, costs about 15eur. You can take ecolines, luxexpress (simple express) or eurolines. The tickets can be bought online.

Also you can take a train, but i have never tried it to go to Warsaw. I traveled by sleeping train just to Ukraine, but it was like in hell - to hot and no air..:/

Mentioned in this post
Vilnius
Vilnius
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Vilnius, Vilniaus...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

To travel from Vilnius to Warsaw it would be better to choose direct bus than train. Still trains aren't comfortable in this region. We are waiting for the Rail Baltica, when trains would be more comfortable and without stops to change in Sestokai.

I also can recommend ecolines, they offer th cheapest price and are comfortable, fast and have free wi-fi, offers you food and drinks. so the road doesn't take too long, when you feel comfortable :)

Mentioned in this post
Vilnius
Vilnius
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilnuis to Warsaw

I am on thee Lux express bus between Tallinn and Riga using their free wifi. I am very impressed. If I could get this quality service between Vilinus and Warsaw I would jump at it. How does the Ecolines bus compare?

Edited: 15 October 2013, 12:12
Mentioned in this post
Ecolines
Ecolines
72 Reviews
Riga, Latvia
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia