We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

hello, i have been reading abt lithuanian food and it sounds delicious. vug.lt/comenius-projektas/277-traditional-fo…

can locals recommend me good restaurants at Vilnius Old Town area?

preferably one that's not catered just for tourists groups etc.

i want to know where YOU go!

budget is flexible, from lower end to upper end.

thanks.

LT
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

This delicious article describes a home-made dishes (it seems so) . Some is "festal', some is seasonal, some is occasional, all probably can be found at restaurants but the article reflects the mood and taste of a home-made food. At least i recognize everything from my childhood and from present too :D . When you go to a restaurant you have a menu. And rely on the local chef's personnel. To me this is essential difference. i think that many would confirm that. The mood of the article does not reflect the mood of any restaurant.

Suggestions, but not based on pictures of the article:

Ida Basar - http://www.idabasar.lt/en/restaurant/ - specializes in historical meals of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

Lokys - http://www.lokys.lt/en/about_us - famous for its cellars and game dishes. I have seen several incredible interpretations in english language, but can't agree or comment on any. The restaurant is genuinely famous (and always was) and its fame is the cellars and game dishes. Everything else is individual perception which may and do vary.

Cafe "Fabai" in Fabijoniškės sleeping district, away from any tourist routes, post-soviet surrounding, cafe is designed a bit like a countryside tavern, fresh and quality food, features Caucasus cuisine which is popular in LT but difficult to find. The more difficult to find - the more popular it is. Something like, "ahhhhhh, Caucasus cuisine, i'm desperately longing for it.... don't know where and how to find it, if it available here at all, need to go to Georgia in summer... maybe... one day.." http://www.meniu.lt/en/fabai , cash only. Alternatively - shashlyks can be made individually in the garden, or by the lake or somewhere else, in the open fireplace. One can often feel the smell of shashlyks when going outdoors somewhere outside Vilnius or in Vilnius suburbs or and gardens. This is regarding the "home-made Lithuanian food" - Caucasus meals count too.

"HBH Vilnius" - http://www.hbh.lt/en/hbh-vilnius/ - at Vilnius northern suburb Raudondvaris, by Molėtai highway. Place to relax and to enjoy lithuanian food, then to relax again, and enjoy again :) And so on :) They have Zeppelins, cold red beet soup, etc. Setting is a proper one to create the genuinely lithuanian mood of some sort of countryside fest without the actual celebration. You only pretend that you're celebrating :) . This is some sort of a "road cafe", but not a one with fast food. A proper one.

It seems that the bus to Molėtai stops at Raudondvaris, the bus departs 10:10, arr. 10:45. The next one dep. 12:40. The other buses to Raudondvaris go to another Raudondvaris, don't be confused :) it's a stop by the road, should be somewhere near, the village is small. The one and only bus back departs at 16:08, there also may be some suburban buses that are not listed anywhere.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 12:48
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

Thank you agani!!

bc i dont have car and also have limited time, i guess i am mostly only restricted to places where i can access easily - ie. walking in Old Town or direct public transportation.

seems like the first two will fit the bill!

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
395 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

first two from tadasmm list are very good, highly recommended.

However, if you feel that without trying cepelinai, you won't have full picture of lithuanian cuisine, go to Forto Dvaras for example. it is chain restaurant and specially in the old town may seem the touristic one, but Lithuanians also do go there, specially those looking for more economical menu. there is one in Pilies str.:

http://fortodvaras.lt/restoranai/

there is another one, having potatos dishes, cold beet soup etc.: http://www.zemaiciai.lt/about_en.html

but last time I was there it was 3 years ago, for simple Lithuanian food it was a bit pricey even if I enjoyed it.

there is another in old town: www.aularestoranas.lt/index.php?lang=EN

and don't forget to try some home brewed lithuanian beer, not those you can buy in every supermarkets (if you drink alcohol of course) ;)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

thanks cloud, will do!!

Lisboa
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

Hi,

may I be a little more specific and ask for traditional lithuanian food restaurants, also not for tourists.

I don't care if the restaurants are located outside of the Old Town, just want to have a meal like any other local.

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

jmachadoalmeida - i believe all the suggestions above are for lithuanian food specifically.

what i notice is that they seem to eat a lot of potato-wrap dumpings. one of the more prevalent dishes. and of course borscht. but i think borscht origianlly came from russia/soviet times

:)

LT
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

All the suggestions above are for lithuanian food specifically, yes. "Forto Dvaras" specializes in culinary heritage dishes, although locations may seem not very promising (malls, touristy areas) but the food is genuine.

Somehow can't say that lithuanians eat a lot of potato (or potato-wrap dumpings). This is restaurant menu options, not a food lithuanians eat every day. Some eat, some don't. Prevalent dumplings are not those potato-wrapped but "ravioli-type" dumplings with various fillings.

Potato itself is a side dish used as a replacement of bread or pasta. It's easier to buy the bread and use it every day than to boil potatoes, so when you go to restaurant you want something what is more difficult to make at home. Or, while at home, you don't make the food which is available at any eatery - why bother.

Generally, potatoe as a side dish is considered more valuable than bread or pasta, because the bread is not warm (so it's more like a snack and not a main course), and pasta was a cheap potatoe replacement during soviet times, somehow it's difficult to think about the pasta as a proper side dish, unless it's some italian dish, a genuine one. But they are probably in Italy, or you have to choose a genuinely italian restaurant in LT, should be some but since i'm not intrerested can't say which one.

Borscht is a common eastern european soup. Cold borscht (the pink one at the pictures) comes from times of grand duchy of lithuania, specifically it was among dishes eaten by noble Radziwiłł family (recipe could be different because there were no pasteurized products back then).

Majority of lithuanians (at least younger generation) would say that the mediterranean cuisine is the one that should normally prevail. Many contemporary lithuanian dishes are close to them but use local ingredients so you won't recognize the difference. Lithuanian kind of pizza is a more healthy replacement of the pan-fried pancakes which traditionally were very fatty. So proper fat lithuanian pancakes are used on special occasions. It may be your "personal special occasion" and it may occur every day but this is not common. If you see those dishes on restaurant menu every day it is because the restaurants try to guarantee you to have your "personal special occasion" at any time, and not because it is eaten by locals every time.

Lisboa
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

Thanks, tadasmm, for your insight answer!

9. Re: restaurants recommendation at Old Town Vilnius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius