We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

Tooting, London
Level Contributor
91 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

Which of these 3 lovely cities is best for a long weekend? We love wandering around old towns, cobbled streets, interesting churches but can't decide which medieval city to visit!

At a first glance Tallinn probably appeals more, but then so does Vilnius ... and Riga.

Pls help me decide!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

The medieval Old Town of Tallinn has no match in Vilnius or Riga. Most of the buildings in both the latter cities are much more recent. In other words, my vote is unequivocally for Tallinn.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

For a long weekend I would recommend Riga. Tallinn is beautiful but small. Riga offers more: from medieval buildings to nice samples of Art Nouveau.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

I refute the notion that Tallinn does not have enough interest for a long weekend. I've been going there for more than 30 years and I'm still a long way from exhausting its possibilities.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

I refute the notion that Tallinn does not have enough interest for a long weekend. I've been going there for more than 30 years and I'm still a long way from exhausting its possibilities.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

Probably you will help this comparison from The Sunday Times: If the Baltic capitals were three sisters, Tallinn would be the tall, blonde stunner, Riga the feisty one with dark eyes and Vilnius the quirky, funny one you ended up falling in love with.

All three capitals are charming and different. Visit them all one by one!

6. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:09
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

I have not seen the other two but Tallinn is a gem that has impressed me a lot, so I think you cannot go wrong there.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

Hi

I have been to all three and they are all great in different ways. The 'In Your Pocket' guides for all three cities will help you make an informed choice. You can either download them or buy hard copies from their website.

I adore Vilnius, it is pretty, quirky, and with loads to see and do.

We loved Riga, although we've only been twice, its architecture and museums are calling us back for a third visit.

Now Tallinn is just simply fantastic, I can't count the times we have been and will go again. There is so much to see and do, great beaches, amazing Old Town, brilliant museums and fun festivals.

Whichever you chose I promise you that you wont be disappointed.

Jackie

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,391 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

we have been to all 3. All are fab and different. My order of preference would be: 1- Tallinn / 2.- Vilnius / 3. Riga.

10. Re: Tallin or Riga or Vilnius ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 07:15