We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

8 posts
Save Topic
Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

Hi, I am traveling with my 85 year Grandmotherand her dema was to come back to her home country one more time, have been here in Finland now for a little over a month now. And, now we are thinking of taking a day trip over to Estonia before we return back to the states on July 25th. Just anyone have any suggestions on the best sited to see, and the best ferry to take over to Tallinn. I do want to make the best out of it and enjoy Estonia but unfortunately, my Grandmother is a little bit limited with some activity. She gets around quite well, especially for an 85 year old, she actually does better than a lot of 70 year old. Any suggestions would be appreciated, well as if weekday would be better than weekend.

Regards

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
405 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

There is not much difference when to come. At weekends there is much more entertainment going on all over the city but more important is good weather. So check the weather (www.weather.ee) forecast and make your decisions based on that.

Some days ago they promised sunny weather for this Saturday but now already it has changed to rain and Monday seems to be sunny.

We have several ferry companies operating between Tallinn and Helsinki. I'd suggest you to take Tallink or Viking Line. Both are good and in the same price level (ok, Viking has meals included their day-trip package).

If you are able to make walking tours in old city then it should be enough activity for elder. Or take hop-on bus for little tour (http://www.citytour.ee/)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

Viking Line's schedule doesn't favor day trips.

I've often made this trip with my own mom (of a similar age to yours) and I suggest Linda Line as their craft do the trip in 1½ hours each way, and their terminal is close to downtown Helsinki. Another factor is that Linda's small vessels mean you don't spend a long time in shuffling lines to board and debark. This can be painfully slow in summertime on both Viking and Tallink-Silja. The downside with Linda is that their services get canceled in high winds, so don't book in advance and keep an eye on weather forecasts.

Another possibility is an overnight trip. The ferry companies offer very good deals on packages including transport + hotel. This will make for a more leisurely excursion.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
405 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

Ok, my fault. Viking actually offers day-trips with breakfast and dinner included but only on Tallinn->Helsinki direction. I didn't find same offer on Finnish page.

But yes, LInda Line is much faster. I didn't recommend it because in windy weather the trip can be quite pumpy.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

Yeah, Linda's the only ferry I've ever felt seasick on that route in hundreds of crossings. That's why I disrecommend booking ahead. But in good weather, it's the best way for an elderly passenger, with the minimum of walking and lines.

5. Re: Needing suggestions from Helsinki to Tallinn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:16