We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speakers in Estonia

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
English speakers in Estonia
Save

Hi. I'm headed to Estonia and will be spending 10 days traveling the whole country. I don't speak Estonian or any of the other languages spoken thoughout the country. Am I being foolish traveling alone without speaking the language or are there enough English-speaking people that I shouldn't be concerned?

Thanks.

Russ

Altadena, CA

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

You will be fine in the larger towns and places that are popular with tourists. Don't expect English to be spoken on public transport (long-distance coaches, trains), but their ticket offices will speak it.

Out of town it will be more hit and miss, but with a bit of effort it usually works-out OK.

A dictionary of phrase book would help with reading signs when you are on your own, but with the way the grammar works that can be quite difficult and of limited benefit.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
66 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

I wouldn't be concerned at all. If one person doesn't speak English, the next will.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
803 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

You'll be fine. In larger cities almost everyone who deals with customers knows at least some. While in smaller towns in the countryside there are less English speakers, the younger generation does speak it no matter what. No way would you ever find ourself in a situation where nobody around you understands any English, like you might in Russia, France, etc.

Edited: 10 years ago
Altadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. My wife will be happy hearing that. She was worried about my being alone in an area where no one spoke English. Fortunately, I never worried about it since I find it challenging and interesting to try to communicate with someone without understanding each other's words. I'm also driving into Russia for the day to see St. Petersburg. Hmmm.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
11,994 posts
84 reviews
79 helpful votes
5. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

No problem speaking only English in Estonia. Russia is another matter.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
66 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: English speakers in Estonia
Save

Just as a side note, how do you plan on going to St.P and back in a day?

7. Re: English speakers in Estonia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.