We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hi all - I'm trying to book online a day return ticket from Tallinn to Helsinki using Linda Line - whioch I've heard is good and both the crossing times and price are just wahat we are looking for.

However when I come to try and pay I can't find an option to pay by visa or mastercard - it looks like just links through Finnish and Estonian banks and sadly, as far as I know, Nat West isn't one of those!!

Has anyone booked online (I've posted a link to the english language website below) and, if so, how did you pay?

Or should we just wait and buy on the day (we are planning to catch the 10am jet foil srevice next Friday?)

Any help would be most appreciated. By the way what is the weather like in Tallinn at the moment? It is grey but warm and at least - for the moment - not raining here in London!

Thanks and here is the link

Louise

www.lindaliini.ee/index.php…

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hi

We have experienced problems in the past paying in advance with a credit card in that region.

Quite often they work differently to our own companies who charge up front, try giving them a ring and ask them to reserve you on your chosen crossing and that you will pay for it as soon as you are in Tallinn. If they refuse you can always ask about the seat availabilty of that crossing and whether they think there will be space.

If they are less than helpful there is always NordicJet line, Tallink, Vikingline and Eckero.

I'm sure you're going to love Tallinn

Jackie

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Thanks Jackie that's really useful.

It'll actually be our second visit to Tallinn as we went in March last year. It was fantastic, it is such a lovely city isn't it? However though the snow and ice were beautiful they did stop us from doing some things like going to the beach and the open air museum so this time we thought we'd go in warmer weather and visit a few of those places - as well as re-visiting favourite spots from last time.

One of which in the case of my husband will be the DM Bar as he is HUGE Depeche Mode fan!!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hi

We were there last week for the beer festival and medieval market. We spent a day on the Pirita beach and got burnt to a crisp, sadly we're both greying redheads so it was more glowing red skin than beautifully bronzed.

We've been to the open air museum twice and it's a lovely peaceful place. We went for the midsummer festival one year and the following just to amble around.

We haven't been to the DM bar, we're more ABBA than rock. One of our children, he's 33 so quite a big child now, is a massive fan.

We found a lovely little Hungarian restaurant, we wandered up Parnu Mnt passing the Scandic Palace hotel on our right and away from the Old Town, the resturant is on the bend in the road. We had a lovely meal with beer and desert for about £14 for the two of us.

We love Tallinn so much we're going back for New Year and I'm already planning another summer holiday there when the beer festival is on.

Jackie

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hi,

We have just returned from Tallin and also exploring Estonia and some of its islands...(four days ago)...still travelling....

here are a few tips which you may find helpful.

If planning just doing a day trip to Tallinn then I highly recommend going by Nordic Jet which are located just past the waterfront towards Grand Marina Hotel. We just left last week and the boat was half empty. You can buy your ticket at the counter, the best the day before for comfort.

I also suggest if budget is not a problem going by business class, as you get free food and drinks. the best thing is the duty free shop on boat. drinks are very, very cheap !! so stock up.......

The walk up to Old Town is approx 10mins from the pier or you can catch a taxi which costs 5euro MAX.

The weather was warm but you need a light jacket for the evenings and carry an umbrella.

I also ventured down to Parnu and other areas. The weather was cool, wet and rather miserable for an Australian looking for some sunshine, however its a great experience and a fab country.

moscpw
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hi,

I am also planning my trip to Tallinn and was having the same problems you were with making reservations on Linda Line.

I e-mailed them (their e-mail was written in the reservations section of thier webpage) and they confirmed my reservation within the day. Apparently, you don't even need to secure your reservation with a credit card. All you have to do is go to the reservation office (presumably it would be at the port) and pick up your tickets an hour or so before your ship departs. Very simple.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Thanks everyone. Just got back from Tallinn this afternoon - had a fantastic time (will try and post a trip report in the next few days when i get my brain back in gear!).

Didin't go to Helsinki in the end as there was so much to do in and around Tallinn. Next time maybe!

Louise

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

I know its a bit late but for anyone else interested we booked a day trip to Helsinki with Nordic Line - booked and paid for it all on the internet - all you then do is print out your booking and take to the desk at the port. Couldnt have been easier

http://www-eng.njl.fi/

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

Hoping to go to Tallin in November and hadn't thought of including Helsinki in the trip. One place that I will spend a LOT of time in is the Depeche Mode bar, that's for certain.

9. Re: Tallinn Day Trip to Helsinki Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:21