We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Malaga
Level Contributor
280 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

I will be spending a day in Tallinn arriving on a cruise ship. All advice welcome.

Is the old town far from the pier, what are the transport options and costs?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Tallinn is a lovely well preserved medieval town. There is so much to do and see here. First, you can easily walk from the pier to the old town, just walk towards the cathredal spires. It's an easy, safe walk that will bring you right to the city walls or you can take a taxi for around $10US, just ask how much before you get in the taxi.. You'll come in by the flower market and just after passing the gate, you'll see Catherine's walk right on your right. You'll see the local women selling handmade wool items. About halfway down the wall you'll see and archway that will lead you to the crafts. You can see pottery, glass blowers and artists working at their craft. There are some beautiful glass items for sale. If you like linen, this is the place to purchase some fashionable items. Look for the Kodukasitoo (Estonian handicraft retail shops) as they have some lovely things. Best one is on Pikk Street. Also a store names Zizi has some very nice locally produced fashions, table linens and pottery. There is so much history, shopping, great restaurants and people watching that you'll have to make some tough choices about how to spend your time. My suggestion is to hit Catherines walk, which will take you nearly to old town square. See the church steeples, town hall and just get a feel for the city and enjoy the square. The tourist info center is just off the square; follow Kullassepa and you'll set the "I"denoting information center. Pick up a city map, and if they have the free booklet, Tallinn City Break, use it as a quick quide book. It's easy to find your way around town, but best to wander. Allow time for a stop at one of the cafe's. My favorite, inside or out is Maiasmolkk at Pikk 16 right across from the church clock. Pikk is also the street with the famous doors of Tallinn, just turn right when you come out of the cafe and you'll pass by several guilds including the Blackhead. Further down Pikk is St. Olaf Church with the tallest spire. While the church is not overwhelming, the view from the top is said to be quite beautiful...it's about 230 steps and narrow, so I've yet to make the climb. You should also see the upper town where you'll find Toompea Castle and Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, parliment and amazing views of the city and harbor. I wish you a wonder day in Tallinn.

Mentioned in this post
ZIZI
ZIZI
2 Reviews
Tallinn, Estonia
Toompea Castle
Toompea Castle
190 Reviews
Tallinn, Estonia
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Alexander Nevsky...
2,544 Reviews
Tallinn, Estonia
Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Old town is roughly 1 km from the cruise pier.

Aim towards the tallest church and you will find your way.

Transport options are only taxis, but be careful they tend to charge more on the cruise port gate than normal.

Better walk to Old town or walk from gate to next big grossing (it is around 100 meters from roundabout after the gate), then turn right, towards the city and there is Tallink hotel and normal taxis stand there (Tallink taxi).

There quite a lot info on the same forum here about sights in Tallinn, read them and there's lot of useful information given-answered

Malaga
Level Contributor
280 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Thankyou, Portland Rose. This is just the advice I was looking for.

Malaga
Level Contributor
280 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Thankyou for the tips re the taxis especially.

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

Thank u for sharing becos' I too will be stopping in Tallin while on a cruise. :)

Malaga
Level Contributor
280 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

because of you I had a lovely day in Tallinn. Thankyou!

7. Re: A Day in Tallinn Shops and Sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:16