We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Can anyone tell me the cost in a taxi to the old town in Tallinn from the airport? Is there a cheaper bus alternative and the cost of this if possible?

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
581 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

If you take a taxi that is waiting at the airport, you will pay around 7 euros to the old town. If you call a taxi from a cheaper company (with older cars usually), you pay around 4 euros.

There are two bus alternatives:

- There is the public line, operated by MRP (smaller public transport bus company in Tallinn, operating on a few lines under the same ticketing system). This line goes roughly every 25 minutes and ticket costs €0,80 from a kiosk in the airport or €1,60 from the driver. You can find the route here (soiduplaan.tallinn.ee/…) and the timetables here (soiduplaan.tallinn.ee/…). A. Laikmaa is the stop located next to Viru Keskus shopping mall, from which it is about 400m walk to the old town.

- There is also a new privately operated bus. It will be much less crowded than the public airport bus and stops at a lot of places where you can very easily go into the old town. Ticket is €2 (only from the driver) and you can find more information here (http://hansabuss.ee/index.php?page=246&)

Have a nice stay in Tallinn!

Edited: 28 June 2011, 08:04
Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
576 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Just be mindful of the ripoff taxis that have infested most touristy areas. Always read the rate sheet at the back window very carefully. There are cheaper taxi companies that could give you rides cheaper, but given the prevalence of shady cabs charging €3/km, as a rule of thumb for a tourist I'd recommend taking the easily recognizable Tallink Takso or Tulika Takso cabs and ignore all the rest.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 10:21
Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
581 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Very true, but if you call ahead to for example Saksa Takso, they will just send a regular taxi with their regular tarrifs :). But sure, for tourists it's definitely easier to take Tallink or Tulika.

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

thanks for the information we will use one of the 2 cab companies you mentioned

england
Level Contributor
3 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Having been to Tallinn in May,I suggest you get the hansabus as suggested by EE Wover. They are new buses and go to all the main places. As you come out of the airport entrance, the bus stop for Hansabus is just up on your right. It is very easy ,cheap and reliable.

Aberlour
Level Contributor
48 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

I think the only problem with this service is that it stops operations at 18:00 hours.

Can anyone tell me what the actual bus number needed from the airport to the Bern Hotel in the old town? and what time does this bus stop operating at as I'm arriving at around 23:00hours on a weekday.

Aberlour
Level Contributor
48 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Message for EE WOVER can you tell me the numbers of the buses that operate from the airport to the town centre? thanks

North Wales
Level Contributor
558 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274958-i996-k45…

Click on the above link to read the very useful advice from Lusikas.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

Taxi from Airport to Nordic Forum Hotel (edge of old town) was Eur 5.28.

Return journey Eur 5.68. We used Tullika Taxis as recommended by Lusikas.

Tampere
Level Contributor
169 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of a taxi from Airport to Tallinn Centre

It seems that all the Tulika taxo drivers are not exactly honest either, for me, they charged a fixed price of €10 from the airport to the radisson blu tallinn. The driver had an interesting logic - the told me €10 was not that bad, because somebody could have ripped me off with €20 charge..

Actually, the guy was pretty funny, I probably would have tipped him if he just had used the meter..