We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grove, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

The LUX Express looks great in pictures, but I have found hints that the ride itself is not as comfortable as the train. We want to make a daytime trip next June. At first we thought we would go on the Allegro back to Helsinki and across on the ferry, but it seems much more expensive and not much faster than going overland. What do those with experience think? And when would be a good time to buy tickets?

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

The Saint Petersburg train is basically a slightly refurbished soviet train more than 40 years old. The LuxExpress bus is very comfortable with plenty of legroom, power sockets at every chair, free wifi, free drinks and newspapers and in some buses personal entertainment systems.

I would still choose for the train, just because I like travelling by train. But I can assure you that LuxExpress buses are really comfortable :).

2. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2016, 15:00
Miami,Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Let me summarize what I have learned so far.

1. There is a speed boat company that offers service from Peter

to Tallinn. Please be so kind as to offer a web page link - i could

not find one when I searched. Do you mean a hydrofoil boat?

2. Train sevice from Peter to Tallin. One post mentioned that it is

different from Miami, Florida train service. I need a faaaaast train.

Something similar to the Allegro service. On my last Florida train

trip the cars on the highway (I-95) were going faster than the train - not

exactly your bullet train service. Also, no chickens are walking

down the aisles on the Peter to Tallinn train.

3. StPeter Ferry - one post mentioned a June Saturday departure. I was

only able to find a Sunday Departure - overall I found limited weekend service from Peter to Tallinn. Why? Is this not the tourist season?

4. Plane to Tallinn ???? not too much found.

5. LuxBus Express. 8 hours on the bus....take your luggage out of the

bus carry it into a building to clear the Russian Border...maybe nine hours

total ride time. This sounds like a challenge and probably my best option.

Thank You so much.....

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

1. As far as I know there is no such thing. There is only the St Peter Line ferry which takes a night to get there

2. It is not a high speed service. You can find the shedule here: http://www.gorail.ee/?id=1672 . Moscow time is Tallinn Time +2. So it actually takes 10 hours 30 minutes. The biggest reason is that near the border the checks take 1h and 10 minutes. You wont see chicken on the train though.

3. There is only one ship doing trips Tallinn - St Petersburg - Helsinki - Stockholm - Tallinn. That takes about a week, so that's why you can only do Tallinn - Sint Petersburg once a week

4. From where? If from the US, probably US - Brussels or US - Amsterdam would be best. There you can change to an Estonian Air flight to Tallinn.

5. It's comfortable, but probably quite a hassle yes... nothing anyone can do about that, until some better arrangement for tourists can be found.

Miami,Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Destination Expert

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree with you that the travel leg (south end of the Gulf of Finland) from Peter to Tallinn, going either on bus or train, needs substantial improvement to encourage tourist flow.

I was thinking going from Peter to Helsinki on the

high speed Allegro train (north side of the Gulf of Finland) and then Ferry to Tallin. I think if I leave early in the morning from Peter I will be able to make a ferry connection in the early afternoon on the Helsinki -Tallinn ferry.

The cost will go up but the time and hassle should go down significantly.

I am either coming out of Miami FL., Washington,DC or JFK, New YorK. I am thinking Finn Air, Scandanavian air or Luftansa as possible carriers to

get me to Helsinki. Leaving the region either from Tallinn or Riga back to US.

As I am writing this maybe it makes better sense to fly directly to Peter then

back track on the Allegro train to Helsinki, down to Tallin and back to US.

Trying to watch the $$$ as well as dead air time on planes, airports and terminals.

Thanks

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, but keep in mind that a visa to Russia will incur extra costs. What I want to say is don't forget to get it ;).

7. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 10:11
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Dear EE-Wover. I am trying to buy train tickets from Tallinn to St Petersburg on 4 January 2014. www.Gorail.ee. There is a train that leaves Tallinn at 7.30am and get's into St P around 3.00pm.

I can't actually buy off the website and when I emailed their response was "Unfortunately, sale is still closed".

Russian Train website said they "do not provide train tickets with the departure from Tallinn due to some technical reasons".

Can you tell me if there is an issue with the railway lines or something? Or am i simply trying to purchase too early?

Please help!! HoHo, Australia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

HI Nerbore

I am travelling with my husband and 3 children in the cold of winter. We have 2 nights in Tallinn and then 2 nights in St Petersburg. Is the Lux Express still comfortable and warm this time of year. How long will we be waiting at the border in the cold weather? Being from Australia and pretyy much tropical climate all year, this sounds very daunting to me with 3 children under 10.

Will the trip be more interesting for the children by bus or train? I am thinking about the bus purely becasue I can go on line and purchase tickets immediately. The train tickets are not so readliy available for purchase.

As St P is +2 hours, I assume the bus ride will only be 6 hours? Leaving at 8.00am arrives St at 4pm (which is 2pm Tallinn time). Have i got this right? If so, it sounds like the bus is quicker than the train.

Your local information would be much appreciated.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus vs Train from St. Petersburg to Tallinn

Concerning the "technical problems", in the Estonian error message it mentions that tickets only are available for sale 45 days in advance. I strongly suggest you book them as soon as they go on sale, because a lot of Russians visit Tallinn around Christmas and New Year and the 4th sounds like a day they might want to return to their motherland ;-).