We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

I will be in Tallinn for one day later this month on a cruise with Emerald Princess. Time in port is 8am -5pm.

It seems like I could take a city bus (1A, 5, 8, 34A, 38) to Lauluvajak to see the Song Festival grounds. I found the schedules on solduplann.tallin.ee.

Can anyone provide a bit more detail on how to do this. Where should I get the bus in Tallinn? Where can I get a ticket (I will have euros, but likely not exact change). How much is a ticket? Is there much to see at the grounds?

Any other tips would be appreciated. I prefer to explore on my own rather than a guided tour, but I haven't seen much on line about riding the bus and with a firm deadline to be back at the ship any advance information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Prangli Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tallinn City Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
EstAdventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
OleLukoe
Day Trips, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours
Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
597 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

Hi. Here is my suggestion: Buy a 24h Tallinn card on the cruise ship dock and then walk to the city center (Viru Keskus, it's marked in the map in the brochure you get with the card). With the Tallinn Card you get free public transport and free entry to all museums in Tallinn.

Just hop on any of the buses you mentioned in the underground bus terminal at Viru Keskus and get of at song festival grounds.

At the song festival grounds you can spend about 45 minutes. You can walk around the arch, climb the tower and check the musical bench on top of the hill facing the stage. A bit furher up the hill you will also find an overview of the previous song festivals and the amount of participants.

After that, you exit the grounds from the same place where you entered (Oru entrance) and cross the street. After a short walk you will come past the Japanese garden which you can tour. After that continue walking the path. It will lead to Peter the Great's former holiday residence, where except for the beautiful garden, you will also find a small art museum.

Going left on the road, you will get to the presidential palace. Going a bit further, you will find Estonia's art museum Kumu, which you can visit.

After that, have some late lunch in Kumu's cafe, stroll through the parks and take tram 1 or 3 until Hobujaama (same as Viru Keskus) or one stop further for the old town.

I estimate, such program would take up about 5 hours.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 08:35
Mentioned in this post
Viru Keskus
Viru Keskus
126 Reviews
Tallinn, Estonia
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

Thanks so much for the reply. i didn't realize there was so much to see beyond the grounds.

I have enough euros to buy the bus tickets from the driver, but it's good to know the Tallinn Card is an option as well.

Thanks again for the response.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,743 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

You'll have a hard time making the Tallinn Card a paying proposition on such a short visit. Better just to pay any bus fares and museum tickets you may require.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

My visit is on a Monday when several museums are closed, so all the more reason to purchase the fares and tickets directly.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
597 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

True, true. The only reason I recommended it was because it can be an annoying hassle to buy tickets from drivers. Drivers also do not sell tickets in the bus terminal.

The only option to get tickets up front is to buy the electronic public transport card from a kiosk and load a few single tickets or a day ticket on it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

It's helpful to know the drivers don't sell tickets in the bus terminal. Seem like it would make sense to board the bus at the next stop which is Pronksi. It looks like an easy walk from the ship. Does that make sense?

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
597 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

Yep, makes sense. It will be about 25 minutes walk. 30 if you go through the old town, which I recommend.

8. Re: Taking a bus to the Song Festival grounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:18