We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

My 65 year old mother and I will be in Tallinn from 8am to 5pm arriving by cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas.

One of the tour companies is offering the following itinerary for $30/£20:

09.15 Drive from the pier to Old Tallinn

09:45 Arrive to Toompea Hill

Walking tour with views of: Upper town, church of st mary the virgin, toompea castle, alexander nevsky cathedral, church of st nicholas, town hall sqaure, town hall pharmacy.

10:30 Stroll down Pikk Street to see: th three sisters house, st olaf's church, church of holy spirit, the gothic great guild hall, museum of marzipan, the great coastal gate and fat margaret tower.

12:00 end of tour

Does this tour sound like value for money? Is it easy for us to just walk or take public transport into town and see all of the above easily by foot?

14:00 transfer to the pier

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

Assuming that's $30/£20 per person, it seems overpriced to me. You could take a taxi to Toompea and walk it yourself using a free tourist map. You'd miss the guiding, but the same information's easily found on the internet if you don't mind doing a little homework. Also, there are local guided tours you could join, including a 'free' one (tips are expected).

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

Yes, thats $30 per person without the 10% and 5% tip they expect for the tour guide and driver respectively. Is it a good idea to start at Toompea and then walk down rather than up towards it?

Apart from a taxi is there any other method of transport that can get us to Toompea Hill?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

Not for the first time, I get the impression cruise companies take their customers for total mugs.

It's a pretty steep hill (and one I've negotiated many a time with mobility-problematic relatives) - far better to start at the top and work down. And take the gradual descent (Pikk Street) if your old mum is wobbly on her pins.

A taxi's your best bet, but bear in mind that tariffs vary wildly in Tallinn. Check the FAQs for reputable taxi companies, as some of them will really take you to the cleaners. With a decent taxi firm, it won't cost you much.

Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

For me it seems quite OK tour.

It is not only for transport to and from cruise port but includes also personal guide and probably all the hints you can get and answers to questions.

3 hours for tour and 2 hours free time

Similar tour is probably sold on the ship for 50-60 EUR and just hirering a personal guide without transport costs 15-20 EUr per hour.

Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

We arrive at tallin tomorrow and my wife booked on line with tallinn taxi

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

How much should a taxi from the port to Toompea Hill cost?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

All taxis have tariffs posted where you can check it before getting in. See the FAQs for more info about Tallinn taxis - they can be decidedly dodgy.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
889 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

So is it really hard to get an idea of how much the journey should cost because all taxis are different and charge what they like?

Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

I hope you booked tallink taxi.

Just saw today some people who payd 36 eur from airport to city. It should be actually around 10 EUR.

And those taxis with high prices have 3.5 EUR per km, normal is under 1 EUR and even though they arenot honest and ask money for 10 km instead of 5-6 km, what is the distance between the airport and Old town

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hr Grand Tour. Is it any good?

No, it's not hard to tell rip-offs from decent taxis as the prices are posted on the rear window, readable from outside. Just don't get talked into taking the first taxi you see and there will be no problem at all.