We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

LONDON
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

Went as a couple - he was not impressed, she liked aspects of it. His disappointment stemmed from the fact that there was no real attraction, the buildings were bland we both prefer architecture rather than museums to give you an idea of what we want from a break. Would recommend a short stay max 3 days. Was not cheap nearly on par with London prices. Top tip by pure chance we went out on a Monday thus missing the stag, hen does who were arriving as we departed on the Friday. Out of interest how would this compare with the other Baltic destinations?

Edited: 28 July 2013, 13:24
11. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 21:35
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

Interesting perspective from the OP and I definitely agree with some of the responses prior to mine. Not sure how you define "bland" but Tallinn is far from that (unless you are only talking about the Soviet era buildings in the area). In fact, Tallinn has one of the most well preserved medieval areas in all of Europe and even aside from the many towers and spires, I ran across countless interesting buildings during my 3 days there in 2012. Another thing that I think is quite unique in Tallinn is that you have the rare area I just described directly contrasted with the Soviet area building, then some very new and modern architecture... all within walking distance... such a contrast in styles is something not so easily seen elsewhere.

I understand that tastes vary but bland is probably the last word I would use when describing Tallinn's architecture to someone.

Now, in regard to prices being on par with London? This makes me wonder if your post was not just meant to rile some people up because it is absolutely untrue. Can you over-pay for a meal if you fail to look outside the main town square? Most certainly. However, with a very limited effort or research, you can find many reasonably priced, if not huge bargains for meals. Take for instance the Lido at the mall on the edge of town... I was able to get a huge amount of good quality food for at or below 10 Euros! Also had a huge sweet pancake with ice cream at Kompressor for I believe around 3 Euro. Contrasting this to London is bordering on comical as London is at or near the top of most expensive cities on almost every credible list you will find.

I haven't been to Lithuania but I was about equally impressed with Riga (vs Tallinn)... charming city with a lot of things to see and do and very affordable compared to most western or northern European capitals. My advice would be if you didn't like Tallinn, don't bother going anywhere else in the Baltics. Prague is indeed amazing but it's also huge compared to the small capitals in this region... they simply aren't comparable... completely different (but all great) experiences!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

I'm following this post with great interest as I'm thinking of visiting in the near future: I'm a huge fan of Gothic architecture, so I feel there will be lots to see. I picture Tallinn to be a similar experience to Bruges, although I've notice the buildings are less flamboyant but still quite interesting in detail. Would love to know more specifics on what you didn't like about Tallinn. I too always seem to get lots of flack whenever I write about a not-so-great trip, so I appreciate your honesty.

LONDON
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

hi urban foodie, i have to say im a little surprised to say the least by the reaction to my post in which i tried to be upbeat and not to negative. i looked at your posts and have been to lot of the places you posted on and we that is me and my other half enjoyed all of them more than tallin . tallin is nothing like bruges or prague for that matter we walked most of it in a day , there was a medievil looking town center a russian church on a hill . I know im going to get slaughtered again but it really left me nonplussed it to the point where nothing really stood out to recommend it, and i know my view is in the minority but i have no agenda or axe to grind. on the plus side we had some really nice meals

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

Thanks for that! The town does seem a little small to spend 3 days, but the restaurants look fantastic and I don't mind a museum or two.

Also, from what I can tell, it appears that the town does not shut down at 9pm like some other small towns I've been to recently (don't get me started about Lubeck, Germany) so I can imagine enjoying a short, leisurely stay, I hope.

There are lots of trolls out there, I'm afraid! Also lots of people who are more in love with the idea of a place than the actual place (i.e. Paris)

LONDON
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

no the night life was ok , there was a pub / bar called hells hunt which seemed to get quite a cool looking clientel also a couple of irish themed bars which were open quite late past one in the morning i , we reviewed possitively a couple of restraunrants

North Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

Ha ha Urban! I know exactly what you mean by Lubeck, never again! I felt like I was the only person in that town at night!

Sorry for going OT there!

Tallinn, Estonia
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

Nõmme is not middle class. Very high prices for properties because it is very safe and quiet place! Kristiine is more for a middle class. You can compare Nõmme to Pirita district.

19. Re: Tallinn review - kinda disappointed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tallinn
Recent Conversations