We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn to Stockholm

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tallinn to Stockholm

We have a meeting in Stockholm in early August and are trying to fit in a trip to Tallin before it at the end of July. Flights from Tallinn to Stockholm are around €100 but the Ferry seems a more attractive option. However, from searching the internet fares are quite expensive and I note a message in the Forum saying that a return fare can be cheaper than a single??? All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

Cruises (return fares with a day in the destination city) can often be more economical than a single fare. Check out the Tallink website and see what you can find. Tallink is the only ferry operator on this route.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query Jonthen. I checked the return quote (not easy to check one way trip) and it was €340 + for 2 foot passengers. I decided to book two flights instead - just under €100 one way which is all we need. Thanks again, M

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

You're welcome. But you also have to figure in the extra cost of a hotel night if you fly. It's a big plus to sleep on the boat and arrive refreshed at a reasonable hour next morning.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

Hi

It's a bit late now as you have booked flights but a tip for the future. I always book on the website in the language of the country I'm travelling from. So Tallink from Estonia I use Estonian. It is difficult but manageable, also you don't look at the return costs but at the cruise offers.

I usually start in Stockholm to Tallinn and £70 return is roughly what I pay for two people excluding meals. Also when travelling as a three wanting two cabins I book four people as that brings the total fare down too.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

Thank you Jackie for your interesting reply. I would have preferred to travel by Ferry and probably would have done so if I 'knew what you know!!' Will certainly keep it in find for future reference.

Best wishes,

M

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

IMO, flying is the only way to go... so cheap and BY FAR quicker than the ferry option, even including travel time to and from the airports. Maybe if you can sleep soundly on a boat, that could be an option for some but I prefer to spend the least time possible traveling from one city to another.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

The north Baltic is not like ocean cruising. I've made hundreds of overnight crossings. Only one was rough, and that was in winter.

Mentioned in this post
Baltic
Baltic
Tallinn, Estonia
8. Re: Tallinn to Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 06:17