We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kinallen.N.Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

Hi, could anyone suggest the easiest way to travel from Tallinn to St Peterburg, we are a family group and arrive in Riga, hiring a car and driving to Tallinn for the week in mid april and were flirting with the idea of going to St Petersburg for a couple of nights.

Would you drive? catch train?

I read comments about the bus and it's not appealing to me as I don't fancy the overnight drive.

Any comments would be welcome, do we need a visa as we are british?

Is a British/EU driving Licence acceptable?

Stephen

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

You need a visa for Russia unless you take the ferry. http://stpeterline.com/fi/Home.aspx

Driving a hire car to Russia is not feasible.

Kinallen.N.Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

Thanks. For info, I leave the car in Tallinn and travel somehow. Would u know how many hours the ferry from Tallinn to St Petersburg takes.

Would anyone know how to get a visa for Russia. British/EY Citizen

Kinallen.N.Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

Thanks. For info, I leave the car in Tallinn and travel somehow. Would u know how many hours the ferry from Tallinn to St Petersburg takes.

Would anyone know how to get a visa for Russia. British/EY Citizen

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

You can apply yourself at the Russian embassy's consular section or go through an agent. DIY is cheaper but the red tape puts most casual visitors off. Check the ferry operator's website for times.

Vilnius
Level Contributor
539 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

Nothing wrong with the bus.... there are many of them & quite cheap. Service lines also get priority at the border if it's busy.

Visa in the UK will cost you around £90 and it's not the quickest / easiest process.

6. Re: Travelling from Tallinn to St Petersburg,any suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 08:19