We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry based on duty free?

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which ferry based on duty free?

1) Which ferry company (Eckerö Line, Tallink Silja, Viking, Linda Line) in the Tallinn-Helsinki route has (i) more whiskies (Scotch single malts in particular); and (ii) better prices in their duty free shops?

2) Do Tallink and Viking have the same product ranges and prices in their other routes? For example, would Tallink Silja's product range and prices be the same or different betwen its Stockholm-Talinn and Helsinki-Talinn routes?

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

There is no duty free between Finland and Estonia. It was eliminated when Estonia became part of the EU (Finland is a member previously).

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

There is however duty free between Stockholm and Tallinn and Stockholm and Turku/Helsinki. The first route is from Tallink Silja, the two others by both Tallink Silja and Viking Line.

On Tallinn Helsinki line, both Tallink and Viking Line have the biggest ships. Eckero line is slower and has more alcohol tourists, which might also cause there to be a bigger choice, but I haven't been on their ship yet, so can't tell for sure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

Yes I completely forgot that. But how come most of the Tallink Silja's cruise ships, whose all ferry operations are between EU countries, have tax free stores? Please see the examples in the below link. The first one is between Stockholm-Helsinki, the second one Tallinn-Helsinki:

tallinksilja.com/en/…tabs-content-3

tallinksilja.com/en/…tabs-content-3

Moreover, even though it does not explicitly state that the prices are "tax free", the Eckerö Line's price list available in the below link indicate the products are tax-free because their prices seem to be lower than their retail price. Please note I could only find this link in its native language but it looks like it is up-to-date because for the items with asterik it says "Star (*) flagged products will be buyable during the spring 2014":

https:/…

????? What is going on ?????

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

It's not easy to understand the detailed rules and regs when several countries come together and form a single entity.

What happened when the common marked in EU opened was that some areas was granted special status. The Finnish Islands of Aland (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85land_Islands) has some autonomy and selected to opt out of the common marked and therefore tax-free sales of heavily taxed goods are allowed on vessels going to/from Aland. So most ferry companies between Finland and Sweden put in at Aland to take advantage of this.

On the Eckeröline and others not going through such a place they need to plan where to purchase their goods, so as to pay the least amount of tax. On ferries between Finland and Tallin they usually buy their goods in Tallin, as the taxes there are much lower than in Finland.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 09:00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

Very well explained. Thank you.

Any one who took Talinn-Helsinki via;

- Viking's M/S Viking XPRS or,

- Tallink M/S Star or M/S Superstar,

may comment on whether the shops in the vessel sell whiskey, if so, whether the range is extensive and pricy or not?

Edited: 04 May 2014, 09:45
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

If you are visiting Estonia, it's worth checking the harbor area. It's full of out of this world booze shops for Finnish tourists, this is a crazy phenomenon caused by the sky high taxes in Finland. My experience is that strong alcohol is cheaper there than on the ferries. Ferries are rather expensive as they sell cheap tickets and cover their expenses by selling booze. They have few good offers but mainly for vodka and beer. Most Finns therefore concentrate on the booze shops, such as "Superalko". Superalko has their whole selection listed with prices on their website, so just compare the prices yourself. Can't remember others by name but Google helps. There are plenty.

As it has been said, only ferries that stop in Åland can sell Tax Free but as the tax rates in Estonia are really low and the ferry companies add their own expenses, Tax Free is not always the cheapest option (plus there are strict limits for Tax Free booze, vs. Estonian stores sell legally taxied booze that you can bring with you as much as you want).

Edited: 04 May 2014, 13:53
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

Estonia is the wrong part of Europe for whisky. There are places to buy single malts, but the choice is not great and the prices quite high, but as the son of a Scotsman I might be a little biassed!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

Just to add: there are price listing for Viking Line too, but not in their international site. This should be understandable though:

- Tax Free: vikingline.fi/sv/…

-XPRS to Tallinn: vikingline.fi/sv/…

(In my experience Silja is always a bit more expensive)

And the SuperAlko I mentioned earlier: www.viinarannasta.ee/articlesr.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which ferry based on duty free?

Much appreciated. Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts