We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn and Estonia in general

Which Tallinn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tallinn and Estonia in general

For the summer of 2015 i have the opportunity to possibly intern in Tallinn. I am young like to go out on the town, but i also like to hike and see historic sights. Is Tallinn easy to navigate and safe? I can only speak English, Spanish and Italian, would i be able to get around? For anybody that has been there, is it cheap? Any information would help thanks.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallinn and Estonia in general

Yes, Tallinn is easy to navigate and safe.

Many people, especially the younger generations, speak good English and you would be able to do just fine with only that.

Price level for goods is roughly the same as in Italy, though rent and services are cheaper.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallinn and Estonia in general

Tallinn is quite small for a capital city and it's easy to walk around or catch public transport. I never felt unsafe in my short time there. As the previous poster said, young people generally speak good English. I don't think you'll have a problem if you are successful in getting your internship.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
90 posts
893 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallinn and Estonia in general

As stated it is very safe. English is everywhere and because of tourism many are polyglots.

Local salaries are not the highest and rents are still high for them but not extraordinary for Western EU. If you can make Western EU wages in Estonia you are doing very well. Summer is always more expensive here because of the tourism. The mass transit is very good and gives you more residential options.

Living in old town centers can be kitschy at first but you will soon realize how much the cobblestones and walls echo noise. How loud stag parties can be as they ramble down the streets at 3AM on a Tuesday night and how loud cruise ship tours can be at 8AM.

The average elevation is only 150ft but there are nice places around the Baltics for hiking. The countries are sparsely populated. Outside population centers of the Baltics the rents drop off dramatically.

4. Re: Tallinn and Estonia in general

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15