We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midsummer celebrations in Latvia

A B
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Midsummer celebrations in Latvia

Hi guys!!

I am visiting Lithuania and Latvia for two weeks from 18.06-30, and I found out that this is time when latvians are celebrating Midsummer or Janni day (23-24.06). I am wondering which is the best place to celebrate it??? How do you celebrate it?

Kind regards,

Alison

Riga, Latvia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Midsummer celebrations in Latvia

Hi Alison,

If you are member of couchsurfing.com, then there is quite big camp organised for travellers, I think that will be quite nice way to celebrate it.

Here is link to it:

couchsurfing.org/activity/view/2XTT05/midsum…

Other option is to celebrate in in Cineville or Etnographical museum.

Laura

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midsummer celebrations in Latvia

Hi Alison,

You will find bigger or smaller events in 23th June night almost in every town in Latvia. Usually there will be some open-air concert and dances afterwards; such event is in Riga also (but every local will advise you to go out from Riga in this night, it's just traditional). You can have insight in traditions some days before Midsummer night - there are plenty of events with folklore ensembles and other artists performing, telling about traditions etc., ask in tourist information points in Riga (I didn't find good resource with event calendar in English). Etnographical (aka Open-air) Museum doesn't have any events on 23rd, but they have pre-Midsummer evenings in 16th and 17th.

Another option is if you have any local friend who can take you to the celebration - but you never know what you can get, nice night with fires, songs and Midsummer rites or just drinking party with disco music :)

3. Re: Midsummer celebrations in Latvia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:41