We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drving trip thru the Baltics - advice needed

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
150 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Drving trip thru the Baltics - advice needed

Just beginning to consider this vacation. My husband and I live in Tybee Island, GA, just outside of Savannah; we are in our 60's and like to travel independently. We would like to see the Baltic nations but not on a traditional cruise. We are thinking about doing this as a road trip, renting a car and visiting Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, and then going on to St. Petersburg. Would also consider train travel and maybe even adding on a river cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow before returning home. We are interested in historical/cultural as well as natural sights, prefer B&Bs rather than large chain hotels, and enjoy good food and drink. We would appreciate any suggestions as to itineraries, rental car companies, and length of time required. Cost is an issue, but not if it interferes with clean accommodations and safety. Thanks so much for any help you can give us.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drving trip thru the Baltics - advice needed

Hi, if you visit Riga next year June 30- July 7, you will see the major Latvian culture event- Song and dance festival which happens only 1 time in 4 years. Early advance booking of accommodation needed.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drving trip thru the Baltics - advice needed

Hi! I'm about your age and originally from Savannah. I was in Latvia this summer and it is a beautiful place. Send me a private message and I'll tell you all about my impressions.

You probably have enough time to plan for an especially interesting time in Latvia. In addition to the Song and Dance festival noted above, there is a big festival during the solstice (June 23 - 24).

Unsolicited advice: I wouldn't drive in Russia. I've been there several times and think the train would me much easier.

3. Re: Drving trip thru the Baltics - advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 08:19