We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

ann arbor michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

I will be traveling from Riga to Daugavpils in June. I've read that there are different options for transportation: train, bus, hiring a car and driver (I don't want to rent a car and drive myself). Any suggestions on these options? Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

There are trains 3 times a day and many buses (about 10 buses a day). Both trains and buses are reliable and comfortable (and cheap - 6-8 dollars for one-way ticket). The travel time by train or bus is from 3 to 3.5 hours - about the same as if you were driving. There is no real need to hire a car with a driver.

You can check the train schedules at www.ldz.lv and bus schedules at www.autoosta.lv.

ann arbor michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

Thanks so much. I'll check out the schedules.

ann arbor michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

I ended up taking the train from Riga to Daugavpils and back and it worked out fine. I would recommend it. It was a comfortable ride and convenient schedule.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

Glad to learn of someone who has done this. I'm planning a late summer 2013 trip to the Baltics and want to travel to Daugavpils from Riga. Any suggestions, internet sites, etc will be greatly appreciated.

ann arbor michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

I don't have that many suggestions. There is a website for Latvian Railways and it contains schedules for the route from Daugavpils to Riga. The train was comfortable enough (rest room facilities weren't the best but they were available) and the train station in both cities is centrally located. I stayed in the Park Latgola Hotel in Daugavpils which was the only hotel I found in the center of the city- it was a pleasant place to stay. The city is interesting and I enjoyed my time there. Riga is a beautiful city with many interesting sites, parks etc I particularly enjoyed visiting the Old City and the City Market- not far from the railroad station.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

Thank you so much for your helpful response. I'm looking forward to the trip. I take it that 1 night/2 days is sufficient?

ann arbor michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

I spent two nights in Daugavpils but I believe one night and two days would be enough. I was there looking into some family history and traveled outside of the city to a smaller town as well. It takes 3 or 4 hours on the train between the cities. I think one could stay in Riga for several days. It is a fascinating city.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

Thank you so much. You've been a great help.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

What resources did you find helpful for family history in Latvia...specifically Daugavpils and Jelgava?

Carpi, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils

Dear Robd,

I am planning to take a train from Riga to Daugavpils too. I wanted to ask you if it is necessary to book it, because I can't book it from the ldz website. Did you book it or just bought it in the railway station? Is it easy to reach the railway station from the airport?

Thank you so much

Francesca

Reply to: Transportation from Riga to Daugavpils
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Daugavpils
Recent Conversations