We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist trap!

Tartu, Tartumaa...
1 post
1 review
9 helpful votes
Tourist trap!

The toll on the bridge to Jurmala is a state-organized tourist trap! If you dont understand the Latvian-only toll warning signs and miss the exit to the ticket machines, you will be pulled over by the police (hand picked for your foreign license plate) and definitely fined for 20-40 lats. They will even give you a travel guide to Jurmala as a present.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
57 helpful votes
1. Re: Tourist trap!

Expensive Jurmala guide!

Sad when you as tourist get an unexpected fee for local rules

about parking or this entrance fee.

Agree that the signs could be bigger and more. Saw 2 cars

pulled in by police last week when we passed...both from LT.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Tourist trap!

Yes, I agree, the toll point entering the bridge is not very clearly marked on the road. Being local you simply can't miss the ongoing news reel on the Jurmala entrance toll, that's why it's in every non-Jurmala Latvian's blood to pay the toll when entering Jurmala. But if you look at it with a foreigner's eyes, it's not that obvious. The toll line must be on the main road, with a single corridor meant for those with passes.

Podebrady, Czech...
1 post
3. Re: Tourist trap!

From my point of view this is regular stealing. It happened to me yesterday as well - I was comming from the other side - east - there is just a 'no entry' sign on a main road with 70 or 80 kph limit, with added text 'without entrance pass', of course after the Latvian explanation. The sign is half the size those used in the city. Even if you know about this (I read the first comment prior comming to Jurmala) you cannot read it in the speed you are passing it.

If they would be serious, this sign would be 20x bigger and above the road..

I don't believe this is not done on purpose. The policemen stopped me just as he recognized foreign licence plate - he let ~10 cars before me and when he saw the sign he jumped out - I was breaking heavily and even though I missed him for about 15 meters.

The fine is 40 lat - approx. 60 eur. Welcome to Latvia ;-)

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
156 posts
279 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: Tourist trap!

So how can we the tourists avoid missing the sign? Does anyone have a picture of it for sharing?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Tourist trap!

Take a look on this site, they have a photo of the pay

entrance to Jurmala:

http://www.concordia.lv/eng/jurmala/map.php

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
156 posts
279 reviews
55 helpful votes
6. Re: Tourist trap!

Oh this is so helpful!

The sign is so small though, no wonder it is unfair.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
57 helpful votes
7. Re: Tourist trap!

There is a bigger sign on the side apx 5-1000m before

this, but if you dont expect it you may oversee this too.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
46 helpful votes
8. Re: Tourist trap!

This is so helpful, thanks very much for the warning. Could someone give a more precise location of the ticket machine exit? The picture that @EastwoodDK linked to was very clear, but google maps satellite view doesn't seem to show something like what is pictured where I would expect. Coming from Riga, I assume it is the bridge just before you turn onto Ventspils šoseja/P128 on the Jurmala side? Or is the ticket machine exit closer to Riga?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/R%C4%ABga,+Latvia/J%C5%ABrmala,+Latvia/@56.9303362,23.600611,1919m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46eecfb0e5073ded:0x400cfcd68f2fe30!2m2!1d24.1051864!2d56.9496487!1m5!1m1!1s0x46eedd07e8a104d3:0x78537e586c6c16df!2m2!1d23.6168486!2d56.947079

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Tourist trap!

Thanks for the advice. Will I pass this point on my way from Ventspils to Riga too or only when entering the town of Jurmala?

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Tourist trap!

No, you can drive from/to Ventspils without entering Jurmala.

Get answers to your questions about Jurmala