We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riga - just back - true story

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
12 posts
Save Topic
Riga - just back - true story

just back from Riga yesterday. We went from the 21st to the 25th and had the best time ever!! I read the reviews about it and was abit aprehensive about going. We stayed in Valdemars hotel which was brilliant. had no problems at all, nothing with taxi's or bouncers.

Spent alot of time in the Skyline bar which is classy, and more expensive than most other places but thats the idea about going on holiday. The bar staff are friendly and if you give them a tip they ring a bell.

As for the women, they are outragous!!! No wonder Riga is annoyed at tourists coming and trying to harass its women. We found that if you smiled they smiled, and they are really easy to talk to!

Its not like your destinations like Magaluf and places in greece where you go and get loads of girls on different nights and get totally hammered.

Do not get me wrong, the 5 of us are 21 years old and from Glasgow and love a party. We were out all 4 nights until 5 in the morning totally hammered, made loads of friends. By thursday night Riga had busied up a bit and more PR staff were out on the streets begging you to go into their club, but as you would do anywhere just say no.

When looking around the clubs and bars when we were out it tended to be the older crowd causing problems, annoying women, starting arguments with others! If you read this and want to know anything else just ask as I give a totally honest opinion of the place and think its great!! oh and club essential on a thursday - madness!!!

Glasgow
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Riga - just back - true story

Spot on. The steak house in the old town was amazing also.

Manchester
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riga - just back - true story

grantyboy123

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It sounds remarkably similar to my visit last year. No trouble, no hassle, just good laughs and friendly people. I doubt i'll be rushing back to Riga, but i wouldn't put anybody off going. Surely travelling is all about experiencing different places - good and bad!

TheGeeMan

Glasgow, Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riga - just back - true story

I'm also from glasgow and going over with a few friends this weekend. Can you recommend what bars and clubs to go to? Ive heard Essential Club is quite good? Also what is the name of the steak house in the old town?

What stuff did you do during the day or was it just recovery?

Glasgow
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riga - just back - true story

alright mate, i think it gets pretty nuts on the weekend but screw it!!! the skyline bar is like the classiest place, 26th floor of hotel latvia!! then its defo gotta be club essential, its a good place. strippers are all fairly crap, we only found one, the jockey club, just save your money, i'm told massages are better if you can find them! i'm sure the steak house is called ' steak hause' you cant miss it. ask your hotel for a riga in your pocket, it has everything in it! you'll love this place!!!!!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
147 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riga - just back - true story

arrived thursday night@10pm,raining when we landed. got the red megane cab to Albert hotel 9 lats. 4 of us. check in was quick, nice room on 10th floor. got another cab to meet friends in the skyline bar, 5lats. good night had only to be woken to the sound of heavy machinery, on looking out the window there was a building site below, ready mix lorries,

dumpers, drilling machines, same on sat morn, sunday was quiet. star bar @ hotel on 11th floor was ok, except sat night when they had a woman dj, playing the most boring, soulless music ever, left after 1 drink, the bar directly in front of hotel is a locals bar & they let u know by leaving u wait 10min to serve you,very rude people & thay anted 7lats cove charge which we refused & left. Around the corner is Pizzeria,very nice food & staff.The old town was lovely, very clean,

Black Magic bar was good, staff dressed in Medievil clothing. Paddy whelans was rough, Dickens was dirty, Jack Daniels bar was lovely, nice fire. all in all a lovely place to visit, lots to see and do. The shooting was good, u pay by the amount of bullets u use.

Also no cigarettes @ duty free in Airport.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
737 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riga - just back - true story

LOL! You got a taxi from the Albert Hotel to the Sky Bar?! It's a five minute walk along a straight street!! Geez, no wonder obesity rates are on the rise in UK + Ireland...

The bar with the 7 lat cover charge is Bites Blues Club and the reason is that you're being charged to see the band, no different from the situation in Ireland. I often go there as it's practically my local and have never had any problem from staff. It's not a locals bar due to the trade from the nearby Hotel.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
147 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riga - just back - true story

well when its raining & you have no idea where u are a cab seems a good idea.

Stranraer, Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riga - just back - true story

No cigarettes at airport duty free???

We were there in January and while there were no international brands there was about six shelves at least a metre wide stacked full of the brands that are sold all over Riga...

oxford
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riga - just back - true story

What, no duty free cigarettes at airport.

What about baccy, is it to be found or should I buy at UK airport?

Any advice on cheapo ciggies/baccy very grateful

Regards

Jimmy

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
147 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riga - just back - true story

i asked at duty free in departures in c section to snn and they said they were not selling any tobacco,dunno why,maybe other departure areas are different,20 marlboro in shops in riga were 1.45lat.

Get answers to your questions about Riga