We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Steak House

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Great Steak House

Could somebody please tell me where we could go for THICK REAL STEAKS IN RIGA? we like rib-eye steaks (Delmonico steak, Scotch fillet in Australia & New Zealand, scotch fillet, beauty steak, market steak, spencer steak, Fillet de la Thistle, Entrecote). Since threE of us are from Chicago and have always loved this steak, I want to take us all plus some Latvians to say thank you for their hospitality before we leave (A SURPRISE), to a real good steak house that serves real heavy 24oz. and up steaks like we have in CHICAGO & U.S. Cost is no concern. I would really appreciate any info.

Also proper attire for fine dining at Vincents (dress up or dress down).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
215 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Steak House

Best bet is probably Steiku Haoss. Ignore the kitschy interior and decorations, because the portions are generous and tasty!

This is coming from someone who has eaten at a number of New York City steakhouses - so I can say that Steiku Haoss is very good steak.

You can look at the menu here: http://www.steikuhaoss.lv/pdf/3_en.pdf

I've only been to the two in old Riga (not the one on Terbatas) - both are just as good.

From what I've seen though, local Latvians are not big steak eaters th(the times I've been to Steiku Haoss it has been virtually only foreigners). They may certainly be surprised...

2. Re: Great Steak House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 09:21
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Steak House

Thanks so much for the info. One more thing please - are there BUTCHER SHOPS/SUPERMARKETS IN RIGA OR JELGAVA that sell steaks that we could also cook on the grill for an American b-b-q party?

Obviously, I can't take everybody with us to Riga from Jelgava, but it would be nice to have most of them to an American Style b-b-q in Jelgva! Thanks again!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Steak House

Thanks Anastasia. I certainly will post a review.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Steak House

In Riga Central market (close to Central train station) there is a huge, separate hangar with large choice of meat. You better buy steaks there than in Jelgava.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
758 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Steak House

"From what I've seen though, local Latvians are not big steak eaters th(the times I've been to Steiku Haoss it has been virtually only foreigners). "

I suspect this is more to do with the price which is quite expensive compared to other local restaurants than to any dislike of steak. Certainly any Latvians I know who have gone there have been happy enough with the place but have complained about the price. Though I notice that recently they've put the prices down a bit. I've eaten there several times and the quality of the food is decent though it's a bit disappointing that after they opened the third restaurant in VecRiga, they stopped having live music in the Terbatas one.

There's an unconnected 'Dome Steak House' in Smilsu Iela which is not as expensive, I've never been so can't comment on quality. Goldcard I believe can?

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Steak House

Quote "There's an unconnected 'Dome Steak House' in Smilsu Iela which is not as expensive, I've never been so can't comment on quality. Goldcard I believe can?"

I can!

That is one restaurant that I visit every time I'm in Riga, they really do have the most amazing steaks.

However, it may prove to be a disappointment to our friends from the USA as the largest one they do is 300g which is about 10 ounces They could have 2 or 3 each I guess but at around 13 or 14 lats per steak that might be an expensive meal!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Steak House

Hey hansmoleman, Anastasia, fonsanta, CFValencia and Goldcard!

Thanks a lot everybody for your help. This certainly makes it a lot easier for me and my friends to enjoy our visit. Should any of you need info about Chicago, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

For your info, there's a big population of Latvians in Chicago, also in Michigan and Indiana. In fact, there's a lake in Michigan featured in the Chicago Tribune awhile back, that is considered a resort for Latvians in the Mid-west, complete with resort facilities, cottages, etc. Polish people have the Wisconsin Dells in Wisconsin and Latvians have this lake in Michigan.

Once again, thank you all so much and best wishes.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Steak House

For your info, there's a big population of Latvians in Chicago.

I know, I know. Many years ago I was there with some choir and sang for Latvian audience. :)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Steak House

Hey fonsanta!

That's cool that you've been to Chicago. I hope it was a good experience for you. If you ever come back to Chicago, let me know, or maybe we could have a drink in Jelgava. I'm going to stay at my friend's place from 6/21-6/26, after which, I'll stay at Zemgale Hotel.

Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations