We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tours

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
David4325
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Tours

I recently returned from Riga and wanted to write a post on a Walking Tour company called Smile Line that worked out really nicely. I took two walking tours back to back -- Old Town and Jewish Riga. Both were with the same guide, Nelly, who I thought did a very nice job of maintaining the flow and providing helpful historical context to the various sights. Moreover, I had a terrific experience with the owner, Edite, who made an extra effort to help me get outside of Riga to see the Rumbula forest, which is an important site with respect to the Holocaust. Edite offered for me to join her on the public bus that she was taking home and to show me where to exit -- which sometimes can be challenging in a situation where you're essentially the only English speaker on a commuter bus. So she showed me to the location, helped me off the bus, and went along her journey. I had the opportunity to see the site on my own which I much preferred to a guided tour because of its solemn nature. Edite could have easily proposed an additional tour but instead really understood my need and made it happen. That's the sign of a good businesswoman who cares about her clients. I'm happy to recommend Smile Line (www.smileline.lv). Look for the yellow umbrella on the Town Hall Square.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Tours

Thanks for sharing it, David!

If you just plan going to Riga, you can take the virtual tours to see the best sights beforehand:

inyourpocket.com/latvia/riga//feature/71284-…

http://vecriga.info/index.html

Here you can download Riga maps and routes:

rigatourism.lv/EN/…routes.htm

More information about culture, nature and history of Latvia here:

www.li.lv/index.php…

Welcome to Latvia!

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Tours

I like a lot map on www.bestriga.com as i can make my own route pointing the map and later print it. As well as they "suggested" me to visit nice and reasonably priced restaurant Neiburgs - located somewhere in old town.

There was an option to download audio guide, but i like to remain independent on my paths.

TC

Carolina

UK london
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Tours

yest best riga is good :)

but i havent heard about smileline?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Tours

It's the only post by this 'guy', and almost certainly written by someone whose first language is not English.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

5. Re: Walking Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 06:19