We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my good time in Riga.....

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
my good time in Riga.....

Have just returned from a week in Riga. I was rather nervous about going to Riga after having read reports of people being ripped-off and mugged, but I have to say i need not have been. We stayed in a nice cheap apartment right in the old town and so had plenty to do day and night.We took the train to Jurmala, visited the zoo and did alot of walking around the historical sights.

We did not encounter any problems, although we did notice that shop assistants were a little grumpy. First we thought it was because we couldnt speak the language, then realised they were the same with the locals! We had no problems in restaurants and bars and were never charged above the menu price.

The lady that took us to the aprtment was very pleasant and even negotiated a lower price on the apartment before we got there.

We were approached in the street, also by a young woman claiming to have no money and needed to get a train ticket, but that type of scam happens in many cities. So i would say do not worry if you blend in with the locals, everything should be fine.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my good time in Riga.....

Very nice to hear that. Thanks for sharing! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my good time in Riga.....

ditto, thanks for sharing and I too enjoyed Riga.

EM.

Moscow
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: my good time in Riga.....

Could u recommend the cheap apartmens in Riga?

Thank u beforehand!

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my good time in Riga.....

For apartments I use this site: http://www.homelidays.com

5. Re: my good time in Riga.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Riga