We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your reasons to choose Latvia

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Your reasons to choose Latvia

Hi, I'm very interseted to hear from people.. what makes you choose Latvia amongst other countries? What is the reason or interest of your visit? Where did you hear about Latvia?

Thanks to everyone

J

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

please give your reasons for asking this and I may reply.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

I'd actually love to join the question. My reason for asking is curiosity :) Am Latvian, reading much of bad language about Latvia, am surprised people actually do choose Latvia. I mean I do see why they slam Riga. The question is why they come.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

I'm not sure if I would choose Latvia as a travel destination, if I weren't local, but from what I've heard from those visitors, who haven't chosen it for cheap bear and nightlife, the reasons are architecture, history, something different from the "old" Europe.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

Hi LatvianTraveller, we both perfectly know that in terms of architecture, history and the like, inherited from the German times, Riga is exactly part of the old Europe. However banal it may seem, those who enjoy their stay come here for a Hanseatic Riga. And the "new", or undeutsch, Riga is what the tourists slam.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

I'm like DieterLV I am Latvian myself and it's just a curiosity ;)

I've heard many positives & negatives about Latvia and that's fine, it's like everywhere else & we all are different with different opinions.

I love my country but I also don't think as a tourist I would choose to go there as a holiday destination, SO that's why I'm interested to hear other people thoughts and points of view!

Thank you :)

J

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

Dieter, I didn't mean that our architecture is something different from old Europe. What I meant by "something different" was terrible, sad, horrible, etc. etc. heritage of Soviet Union. Many tourists are interested to see the country, which had been closed for so many years :-)

Shrewbury UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

In 1999 I visited Riga for the first time, (from England), and was astounded at the architecture. I couldn't believe how beautiful and bizarre it was and how it had survived throughout the Russian occupation. The remnants of the communist era were also of interest, as were the markets and tea rooms. I've since visited many other places to see Art Nouveau (or Jugenstil or Successionist) buildings, but nowhere is as magnificant as Riga, and now I've read books on it, there's still more to see this time. The Christmas market and the Circus will be on my agenda too.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

This site is about Art Nouveau in Riga, with places and routes, but only in Latvian :( …riga.lv/lv/…kartes__marsruti

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

"I couldn't believe how beautiful and bizarre it was and how it had survived throughout the Russian occupation."

My words will terribly offend many locals, but this is a myth, that during Soviet times everything was destroyed and badly treated. We've managed to destroy many beautiful things ourselves during almost 20 years of independence, things, that have been kept and preserved during Soviet times.

Monument of Freedom is still there and the Dome cathedral and the churches. It is nowadays, when our government claims to have no money for the culture, history and education, not the times of Soviet Union.

P.S. Only my personal opinion, not the topic for discussion. Thank you.

Shrewbury UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your reasons to choose Latvia

Thanks - its a shame I don't speak Latvian, but the maps will prove useful. I think I'll take the tram to Mezaparks just to enjoy the views. Its good to see the Art Nouveau industry taking off. Last time I came (2002) there was no Art Nouveau museum or gift shop and I looked in vain for a poster of Alberta St. The only souvenir I could find was a big photo of the House of the Blackheads which i still have on my wall at work -it was magnificent to see that finished after being rebuilt from the ground up. It wouldn't have happened in the UK -the heritage bodies are far too precious about keeping everything 'original' to allow any reconstructions like this.

Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations