We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

darwen
Level Contributor
26 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Wine

hi,me and my wife are coming to riga on 13th august for 5 days, i am a beer drinker but my wife prefers wine. can anybody recommend any good dry white wines.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

Latvia is famous with its ancient winemaking traditions. Vast vineries occupy no less than half of the country's territory...

Well, the truth is that Latvia has no wines of its own, be it red or white, but proudly imports wines from the best winemaking nations.

Mentioned in this post
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

Latvia is really famous with its winemaking traditions- in Sabile (125 km from Riga) they date back to the 16th century, and Vīna kalns (the Wine Hill) near Sabile is said to be the only vineyard in the world located so far in the North. However you won't find this wine in shops because the yearly production is only 60 liters. You can taste it during the Wine festivals which take place in Sabile every year at the end of July.

Winemaking at home is quite popular here- from berries and fruits- mainly apples, but I have tasted also the rhubarb wine and I liked it more and more with every cup I had. You can find the local wine from winery "Ozoliņi" at Recreation Centre "Lido" (Riga, Krasta street). I have no personal experience with it and can't say more.

Another highlight are the sparkling wines branded "Rīgas šampanietis"- http://www.lb.lv/html/eng/28897.php

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine

Typical Darrener lol No Millstoneor Bridgewater thank god!! Alus is the word for Beer although I dont touch the stuff. Plenty of Latvian and international wines on offer.

Try the Skyline bar at Hotel Latvija for great views whilst having a drink!

riga-life.com/drink/…20-Skyline_Bar

If you want to know anything else about Riga from a fellow Darrener, PM me.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
darwen
Level Contributor
26 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

nice 1! got the skyline bar on my list 'to do'. by the way i dont go in milestone or bribgewater, try last orders best pub in darren, cheers!

5. Re: Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:34
Get answers to your questions about Riga