We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy winter clothes

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy winter clothes

Hi!

I am from Israel and my wife and I will be visiting Lapland next week.

On the way we will have all day in Riga and we thought of buying the winter/snow clothes in Riga since they are very expensive here.

We do not ski and it seems such a pity to buy these expensive items for a one time trip usage so if anyone can recommend a cheap store in the center of Riga to buy snow boots/jackets/snow pants/gloves etc I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jack

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

I would recommend the Central market for these things. It is close to the Central train station. Prices are good and you can still negotiate them. Beware of pickpockets! http://www.rct.lv/index.php?id=374

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Thanks!

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

I fully agree - Centra market is the best option, especially since you don't need winter clothes for longer wearing. Some things are not that high quality on the market, but they are warm and enough for one season.

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Many thanks. I will sure go there and see if they have anything suitable for cold Lapland.

:-)

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

They sell clothes in various places: kiosks at the Meat pavilion, stands on the Nēģu and Spīķeru streets, Market of manufactured goods (Rūpniecības preču tirgus). So take your time.

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Thanks Fonsanta!

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Have a good time and shopping in Riga! :)

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Thanks...\The second part depends on my wife...

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

If you search for cheap prices, i would recommend to check out supermarket stores of Rimi (http://www.rimi.lv/veikali/rimi-hipermarketi/) or Maxima (http://www.maxima.lv/par_uznemumu/veikalu_tikls/latvija/meklesana/?location=622&type=Maxima+XXX&x=6&y=6), cause the prices of winter clothes there are much cheaper than in brand stores, but quality also can be better than in Central Market of Riga! Both the Rimi and Maxima super-stores are near airport.

Riga center is not the best place for cheap buys ;)

Also I would not recommend to save money on good winter clothes, cause it can seriously affect your health, especially if you are going to ski. Many ski countries has ability to rent ski or winter clothes too, try to ask this question to your hotel manager in Finland!

For brand and high quality winter clothes i can recommend Gandrs shop (http://www.gandrs.lv/riga-kalnciema-28/) it is near airport and have big choice of winter clothes of different prices.

I hope that my information will be useful, have a nice trip to Riga and Finland!

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy winter clothes

Many thanks for this detailed information and links. We do not ski and since these clothes will be only used for this ten day trip the quality is not that important.

As for renting in Finland - that will not work since we will be moving from place to place and not returning to where we are starting.

Thanks again!!!

Get answers to your questions about Riga