We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Lat Two Lita Scam

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Two Lat Two Lita Scam

Tourist that I met from Germany told me about the following incident that happened to him:

he was walking in old town while it was already dark (in winter time it gets dark quite early that is around 15:00) and than he was addressed by a stranger that had a cent of alcohol from his mouth.

The stranger was holding five coins in his hand, he addressed the German tourist that told him that he has 5 coins of 2 Lats and need to switch them into a bill of 10 Lats and asked him if he would be willing to switch them. the German tourist agreed and gave a 10 Lats bill to the stranger and took the 5 coins.

As the German tourist told me, this stranger was actually very friendly and offered to help with recommending on a good restaurant where he would have a good meal.

After the “deal”, the German tourist continued to walk and looked again at the coins that he got, then he realised that these coins are not Latvian 2 Lats coins but coins of 2 Lithuanian Lita!

Lithuanian 2 Lita coins looks very similar to the Latvian 2 Lats coin but their value is far lower. (According to Google exchange rates the Value of One Lithuanian Lita is 0.203303818 Latvian Lat)

The German tourist went back to look for the stranger but this stranger was no longer there and could not be found.

the German tourist was scammed by this stranger!

The lesson from this is:

In Riga (and also in other places), watch out from making deals with friendly strangers that you meet on the street.

know the difference between a Latvian 2 Lats coin to a Lithuanian 2 Lita coin!

(I added pictures of the coins in: <a href="playriga.com/index/…two-lat-two-lita-scam">http://www.playriga.com/index/general-information/complaints-about-riga/two-lat-two-lita-scam</a>)

Boaz

Edited: 18 January 2011, 23:23
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

Even in the shops - smaller ones - you can sometimes get other countries' coins instead of lats/santims, so really, a good advice - don't change money with strangers!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

I had the same problem, when i first time travelled to Paris some 10 years ago! Some stranger old woman ask me to change money and of course i have been scamed ;) So be careful everywhere you are! This is not happening only in Riga

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

I guess so

b.t.w now there is one person here that told me that a story like this happened also with Romanian currency!

so I guess that this scam can happen in many different ways...

Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

Sounds overreactive, overprotective. Good he didn't give the poor devil some Estonian money, practically no value whatsoever.

As for the manner of presentation, I don't find it particularly reliable. Do they do that in Tallinn selling Estonian coins and notes at the price of the euro to poor ignorant tourists? Very few people have an clue about Estonia having withdrawn its currency, unless they have been specifically told so.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

yep, things like this happens in riga unfortunately,

I guess it happens in many places, not only in Riga

I write about this because it's something that can be interesting to people that are interested in Riga

but in General I have to say that Riga is a nice city and I personally like it very much

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

I am in estonia now, I see that Estonia has fully migrated to Euro,

yesterday I tried to use estonian krones that I have from the past and the shop refused to accept them

prices here are in Euro in every shop, bar, and in every restaurant's menu and the estonian krone (EEK) is 100% part of the past as I see it

Wigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

we are planning to visit Tartu next week and have approx 500 eek from our last visit on checking the estoinian banks have decided to take them with me....

1 January 2011 until 30 June 2011 kroon banknotes and coins can be exchanged at all banks that provide cash services, and until 31 December 2011 at a limited number of branches.

Eesti Pank will exchange kroon banknotes and coins for euro in unlimited amounts and for an unlimited time.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

it would be better to ask this question about kronas in Estonian forum, cause there may be better experts of this question.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

Thank you for the good information which is useful.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Lat Two Lita Scam

this happened to us five years ago! I wonder if it was the same guy?

Hopefully this cheeky scam will die out in a few months as the Kroon currency drops out of circulation. Ironically if your friend holds onto those Kroon they might be worth quite a bit to collectors in a few years - you never know, that scammer might have given a good deal after all!

Get answers to your questions about Riga