We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riga - Currency

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Riga - Currency

I'm confused! travel Agent says it's the euro. The hotel i'm going to say i have to pay the taxi driver in lat. Any advice?

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riga - Currency

The only official currency in Latvia at the moment is Latvian Lat - LVL. Either your travel agent confused Latvia with Estonia or you should stop using his services:-)

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riga - Currency

Thanks. Can you get the Lat in the UK?

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riga - Currency

No - you have to travel to France to get Lats....

Why should you not be able to get Lat in UK?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riga - Currency

Forgive me but your rather sarcastic comment is unhelpful. The local bereau de change told me that the lat was a closed currency and not available in the UK. Hence my query.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riga - Currency

There must be currency exchange at the Riga airport ? Do they offer good rate ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riga - Currency

Hi We bought our lats last week from ICE, and had them delivered.

I have read that there may be a better exchange rate by getting them in Latvia, but we wanted to have some in our pocket when we first arrived.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riga - Currency

I think that not all the places in UK have lats, moreover but many of them have never heard such currency exists:)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riga - Currency

you can buy them are marks & spenser exchange places,did so for my last trip no problem.They may have to order them but usually only takes 24hrs.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riga - Currency

LVL is a small and exotic currency for which they would normally charge way too much outside the country. I'd never buy my lats -before- going to Latvia. You're safe there with your card for the first steps on the ground and then you can easily find an exchange bureau at the airport, in downtown, etc. Or simply keep using your card for payments. I don't know if British banks are punishing their customers for paying in other currencies abroad. I am happy with my Finnish card, as my bank does not require a penny for using it abroad (except withdrawals) and it's never tried to take advantage of me by manipulating the exchange rate for the lats.

stafford, uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riga - Currency

Hi

we arrived back from Riga yesterday. they still use just the Lat and its around 0.75 to the pound. you can buy lats from most travel agents and the post office but some banks (including the one i work for) do not stock them.

you will need to order them but most places got them within a couple of days.

hope you enjoy Riga

Get answers to your questions about Riga