We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Finland
Level Contributor
62 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Hi!

Would you recommend me the best way to get to Jurmala from Riga (old town) and how to get back to old town from Jurmala. I'm coming to Riga in June and would love to do a day trip to Jurmala.

If you have any great tips about a restaurant or cafe that I must try in Jurmala that would be most welcome as well! :)

Thank you!

Riga Sightseeing Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Riga Transfers 24
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Baltic Transfers and Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Riga Taxi Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

The easiest way is to take a train. There is also a minibus option, but the ride takes longer and it is not convenient for city guests, in my opinion, to stand a queue.

The train leaves from Central Station - very close to the Old Town, virutally across the road from it. Destination stations are Dubulti, Kemeri, Sloka and Tukums. Don't get confused by not seeing destination "Jurmala" anywhere:-)

Jurmala consists of a few stations (villages in the past), the most popular and tourists friendly is Majori. It takes approx. 35 minutes to get there by train.

Trains are quite frequent, especially in summer season, but don't expect them to run 5 times per hour, I would say 3-4 in the busiest hours. Tickets can be bought right at the station before departure. For schedules and prices check www.1188.lv/traffic/trains/…

In June everything will be open - open cafes, restaurants, bistros. There is a sushi place on the central Jomas street, as well as more ecxpensive restaurants. Choose depending on your taste!

Have a good time in Latvia!

ireland
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Its very easy (and chaep) to get to Jurmala from Riga by train as latvian travel suggests.

Get return ticket in central station for Majori, platform ( perons) 4 I think from recollection.

Can recommend Cafe 53 on Jomas street.

Enjoy

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Hi KatyerFin ,

Lets to be honest with you I would not recommend a train in busiest summer months to Jurmala. I know we saying it's much cheaper but it's not worth it.

Especially if the weather good the trains are quite crowded and you are squeezed and pushed to the one side to another. Than I rather use a minibus which is much quicker than train.

The most popular restaurant is 'Lido' .The biggest one is on the Krasta street .The information I'm sure you will get from your hotel where you stay.By the way Latvians know what is 'Lido' - really relaxing area you have to see it and here always delicous food.You will not regret!

Have a great time in Riga !

Kind Regards

EVA

Riga
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

The nicest way to reach Jurmala in my opinion would be by bicycle. Very easy ride to the coast and you get to see the layout of the region a bit better.

Train in the summer can be busy but if your traveling i think the idea is to mix with locals and a hot, stuffy, short ride on a train in any country is a must for me, thats down to taste of course. Public transport is a way to support the infrastructure of a country so i would always try and use this over taxis for example.

The micro bus system is another way to get out there, again this is great to mix with the locals.

Once again i see the recommendation to LiDO, as nice as these places are, I would have to stick with the opinion that the food is not as good, price or quality as any other smaller cafe or bar. After all lets help the little guys out. Essentially they are themed restaraunts who aim to sell you Latvian food. I always tell people to eat in the Central market, you can easily make a stop there to pick up your local produce ready to have a picnic on the beach! If you are looking for good places to eat in Riga, then the advice would be 'get out of the old city'

Enjoy the beach!

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Regarding smaller cafes - quality can be questionable there. I'm not defending big market shareholders like Lido, Fabrika, Double Coffee, etc., but exactly because small places are small, they sometimes need to keep themselves from bankcrupcy and so, the quality suffers. Of course, it's not the case with every single small cafe in town, but from our experience with looking for an alternative place to eat lunch at work, when we had the office in the modern part of the town, after trying a few smaller places, we still returned to Lido, unfortunately.

I'm not arguing and advertising anything or anyone, this is just my subjective experience.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Lido complex on Krasta street is a tourist highlight by itself- it is more than just a food. It is #2 on popularity list (actually #1 because the existing #1has false reviews as discovered by CFValencia).

Regarding Central market- I used to eat in hangars as a student because food was good and cheap but the atmosphere due to smell and carcasses is not that pleasant.

Riga
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Ok, maybe i was a little harsh on Lido but the fact that the small places are going under is because it is so easy for us to be eating in the larger chains.

Years ago i had the best lunches in the High Court cafeterea but have not tried food there since 2005. Lido in my opinion is very over rated and its the easy option when people ask where can they eat Latvian food. As for the big Lido center it is great for kids but its on the side of a motorway and looks like it came straight out of DisneyLand!

Oh, Central Market, how i love your food and flowers and faces, in the past years it is becoming a very clean place, check out the fruit pavilion to see the shape of things to come in the area.

Would be nice to create a section somehow for good little places to eat and drink in .

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

Well, cafeterias is places like High Court (which is I believe the one for State Chansellery also), cafe in Riga Municipality, cafe in the ministry, where I usually eat, are not to be compared to regular, private places. There the high quality and reasonable prices are maintained. It is a completely different case. The ones I've tried in the modern part of Riga, were terrible - food was not fresh and not tasty as well.

If you are on a short vacation, you don't have time to try too many different places and that is why you ask for advice regarding the reliable cafes. Moreover, food poisoning or simply poor stomach are not the best friends for travelers. At least, this is my understanding.

The idea to share the reviews on really nice, small places is great! Then visitors of Riga could find reliable advice and we would be happy to help local businesses:-)

9. Re: Transportation from Riga to Jurmala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Riga