We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

hello, I traveled to Sigulda some days ago and took many pictures and movie of this amazing place

if you are a fan of nature and country side view than I very much recommend on visiting this city.

I also invite people to see pictures and movies that I made in Sigulda here: playriga.com/index/outside-of-riga/sigulda

enjoy your trip to Sigulda :)

b.t.w there are many mosquitoes there, one person told me that Sigulda is considered the "capital city of mosquitoes" :)

I try to find something that can help against them since these mosquitoes are very annoying while you travel and try to enjoy the country side, until now I did not find anything that can protect against them... I tried 2 products and they did not work... more information in the page above...

I'd appreciate it if somebody can tell me what is good to use in order to be protected from them, and also something that I can buy in Latvia

thanks

Edited: 02 June 2011, 15:44
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

I can only advise you to try all anti-mosquitoes product you can find in store one by one until you find the one, which protects you. Last year there was the same problem with them all over Latvia. But the good news is that they will disappear in July after midsummer night:-)

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

yes this is what I am actually doing... already tried a second product and it also did not work :)

I remember that in the shop in Sigulda there were maybe 5 different products against mosquitoes, must be at least one that will do the work...

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Wow camping in Sigulda looks beautiful, I'm so glad I opened this article. I'll definitely be looking into that, I'll be in Riga for about 6 weeks start in early July.

I wonder if I should buy a tent when I get there, or buy one here?

I can find a small sleeping tent here for about $30 USD (15 LVL), are they cheaper in Latvia?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Perhaps I'll look through couch surfing or forums and see if I can find a camping mate when I'm there :D

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Buy the tent in Latvia. At the supermarkets Maxima or Jysk you will find it for 5-10 lats. See the link to catalogue of Jysk: http://jysk.lv/#info-catalog!cid=103

LT
Level Contributor
854 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

"...if I should buy a tent when I get there, or buy one here?.."

If by "there" you mean Sigulda i suspect that it may be too late to look for the tent when you are in Sigulda - buy it in Riga, say in JYSK (as suggested above) , just the main problem with those cheap tents is that they lack of water resistance (and if the day is sunny and no any hint of rain - there may be rain at night, and it's enough 10 minutes to make you think about the boat if your tent is not water resistant enough). From those in JYSK i'd suggest those in german flecktarn camo, they are compact and simple, w resistance 800 mm (while others are 450 mm). Should be at least 1000mm, but these may be rather expensive (taking into account the quality) and rather heavyweight.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Okay awesome, this means less weight for my bag when I board the plane. Sweet. :D

Thank you, you guys here at Trip Advisor are always very helpful. :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,536 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

I very much like Segulda,lovely area to walk in and the small town itself is quite good,even have a 10 pin bowling alley there.

As to the Mosquitos,Try Avon Skin so Soft,don't know why it works but it does.

Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

Great website - Thanks!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sigulda the city 53 KM from Riga (pictures and movies)

KidRabbit, you can rent a tent in Sigulda, in the camping site they have tents for rent, but also buying a tent is not very expensive... personally I just sleep with a sleeping beg with no tent.. if weather is good than it's the best :)

unclegus, ok thanks, I'll try this one next time... "Avon" is the name of the product? I already tried 2 things.. and they did not work... but actually now there are no more mosquitoes here... all went to lay some eggs for the mosquito generation of next year ;)

floonline, thanks, I'm glad that you like the site :)

Get answers to your questions about Riga