We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latvian food.

Milano
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Latvian food.

Hello everybody,

I am going to Riga with my girlfriend very soon and I am really curious to explore the city.

In every place I visit I love to enjoy local food.

I found some nice restaurants reviewed here in Tripadvisor, so I am going to ask you about local food.

Which are typical Latvian specialities?

What cannot I really miss?

I am also a beer lover, any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Giacomo

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latvian food.

Latvian traditional food is quite basic and simple. Pork, potatoes, carrots and cabbage in many ways. For something interesting try "grey" peas with kefir (sour milk) and for desert rye bread soup with sweat cream.

Check the Pie Kristapa kunga restaurant http://www.piekristapa.lv/index-eng.html. It is located out of the Old Town, but near the gothic church of Gertrude.

Milano
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Latvian food.

Thank you so much. I love simple foods. It's winter time so potatos, pork, carrots and cabbage seems appropriate.

What about drinks?

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latvian food.

I'm not a beer fan, so cannot advise you on that. But in many places there is local beer available. Check here for some detailed information on Latvian beer sorts http://www.playriga.com/index/beer

Legendary Black Balsam must be tried while in Latvia:-) It tastes disgusting when drunk by itself, but it has almost therapeutical value when added to coffee, tea or hot blackcurrant juice. You will feel warm and happy right away:)

Milano
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Latvian food.

Thanks again,

keep going with questions:

I've heard about a Kvass revival in Latvia. Is it true? Is it possible to find the original one, not the industrial stuff that's so easy to find now?

I'm really curious to taste it :-)

Giacomo

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latvian food.

Why revival? Kvass hasn't disappeared anywhere:-) It is true that there are many fake kvass products to be found in the stores. Read here some information about kvass www.playriga.com/index/latvian-food/kvass

Iļģuciema kvass in glass bottles may be the one you need.

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Latvian food.

I summertime you can buy a live kvass at Central market. Not sure about now.

Tampere
Level Contributor
169 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latvian food.

don't know if you cant buy it from the stalls or something, but the little truck they sell it from wasn't there at least today

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Latvian food.

Yes I meant that little trucks- one was closer to Train station, another- closer to Bus station.

Giacomo, Central market is worth visit anyway to have some impression about the food we consume.

Latvian specialities you can find at Lido chain restaurants too. At Krasta street there is a big one, in Old Riga- a small one. They serve a Lido beer from their own little brewery. Here is a website of Lido: lido.lv/lat/…

Labu apetīti! :)

Riga, Latvia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Latvian food.

Yeah, I agree with fonsanta - I would really suggest to visit ''Lido'' - it is nice experience and food is really Latvian (cabbage, sausages, patatoes cooked in different ways, fruit cakes, fruit drinks, bread and flour stuff...), also prices are reasonable. Also agree with the rest about Iļģuciema kvass - it is a little hard for me, but this is the real taste of it, must be like this! If you are a beer lover, this kind of kvass maybe will be too sweet to you, but maybe not, try it.

What you cannot miss - don't miss walking in Old Riga, last week I did it and was surprised how beautiful it is till now...

Hope I helped.

Milano
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Latvian food.

Thank you,

tomorrow (Monday) morning I'm leaving to Riga.

As soon as I will be back I will tell you my impressions.... I'm really curious :-)

Giacomo

Get answers to your questions about Riga