We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Riga alone

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caen, France
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Riga alone

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Riga the second week of September. I have a Latvian friend who let me her flat (she lives in the old town) but she will not be there this time. So I will be on my own. It will be the first time I will travell alone.

Has anyone ever had this kind of experience, some advices maybe ?

Thanks

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Riga alone

Hello,

I'm sure you will be fine. Just enjoy yourself, walk the Old Town, eat meals in different cafes everyday. Maybe take a train to Jurmala or Sigulda.

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Riga alone

One time must be the first time..I travel most times alone and no problems.

Also been in Riga during 10 years alone - so read the tips in this forum about what to do and enjoy.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
737 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Riga alone

Advice would be a little different whether you're male or female.

If male be careful of women you meet who suddenly find you attractive and invite you to go to bars with them, you could easily end up paying 20 lats or more for a beer.

General advice would be to avoid darker streets and neighbourhoods outside the centre.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
69 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Riga alone

There are a lot of foreigners living in Riga as well. Geberally Riga is safe and being alone should be no problem. Local Tourism information offices offer variety of excursions in Riga, Jūrmala and outside (like Rundale castle, for example).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Riga alone

Just returned from 3 days there solo myself (44 yo American male). Carried $5k+ in camera equipment around until late (midnight) and very early (4am) and never once felt at risk. Probably the most you would encounter would be some drunks around the bars and such but I didnt even have a problem with them. If you're a young, single attractive female you may be wise to take extra precautions but otherwise you will be fine if you stick around the old town area. I would advise to avoid the Russian area east of town after dark... heard that from a couple people and can see it being true. I walked rhgouth there with my equipment during the day and it seems fine but proabbly a bit dicey after dark.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Riga alone

I'm in Riga right now, alone, on business. To give you an idea, I have white hair and look like everyone's grandmother. This weekend is a big festival, and tonight I wandered about the Old Town on my own after dark. There were plenty of people and I did not feel in any danger at all.

I've also been on two day trips from Riga, one

short trip to Jurmala and a longer day trip to Sigulda, both by train, and had no problems.

Like other posters have said, wander around and enjoy the city. I took the Yellow Suitcase guided tour when I first arrived and can recommend it to get an overview of the city.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 20:42
Paris, France
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Riga alone

I too will be in Riga for leisure on the second week of september. I will have free time on the afternoons to discover the place and around. Maybe we can share ideas?

8. Re: Visiting Riga alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2013, 14:29
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Riga alone

It should be no problem at all, enjoy your trip!

10. Re: Visiting Riga alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 10:15