We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

Tampere
Level Contributor
169 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

Anybody know which taxi company is under investigation? In the picture they only show the red taxis, but surely it can't be?

www.baltic-course.com/eng/transport/…

I thought they had four companies at the airport (grey,black, green, red), now they're talking about there soon being two companies left instead of three, so there's one company gone already?

Tampere
Level Contributor
169 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

Ok, found another news article today, so the one they were referring to was Apvienība Taxi:

nra.lv/latvija/79694-apvieniba-taxi-partrauk…

Were these the black taxis? At least in the pictures of TV3's Nekā personīga show a black car. The video was not available in Finland so could not watch

http://www.tv3.lv/content/view/17214/282/

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

It looks like it is the black or silver taxies with same logo as photo at the tv3 video. They show hidden cam of trips where bill from airport to centre is lvl 18 or more! Something we as regulars already knew.

I couldnt download the video for you.

Always take a green or red taxi :)

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

When I went to Riga last month, I followed the excellent advice on this forum and bought two vouchers for the green Baltic taxis, from the booth in the airport. Cost was ten Euros each. I used one voucher from the airport to the city, and then the other voucher later back to the airport. The taxis were clean and service was great.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
216 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

the vouchers appear to be 14 EUR (10 LVL) now -

airbaltic.com/public/baltic_taxi_vouchers.ht…

which makes this less of a good deal now - just over the bridge to Old Riga should still only be about 8 LVL.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

Airport Express vouchers are 5 EUR one way. You can book and pay for your ride in advance. More info and route here: airbaltic.com/public/airport_express.html…

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

Yes there is new prices at Airbaltic taxi vouchers - the Airport Express taxi (also Airbaltic taxi) is a mini-bus service cheaper than taxi but only going every half hour.

If you are not in a hurry and not carry a huge load of suitcases - just take the bus # 22 from the airport. It goes every 10 minutes in daytime and cost only Lvl 0,7 and you will not be in doubt when to get off.

Been my prefered transport past 2 years when not arriving very late.

Tampere
Level Contributor
169 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

recently, for the airport taxis, i've been using balticTaxi only. but now they have increased the price (and for airport rides they have a higher rate than for other rides) and ended the 10% discount for balticMiles members, so the red cabs now seem the better option. Not a big difference though.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
216 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

I avoid using the 'Airport Express' bus these days - it doesn't go very often and it takes forever (it makes a big loop of Riga, during times of traffic the trip can be 30+ minutes).

You can still get a discount with 'Baltic Taxi' if you have an American Express gold card (though I assume it must be the one issued in Latvia, and not just any Amex gold card)

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
9. Re: The airport taxi company under criminal investigation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 10:15