We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

Hi all,

I'm heading to Riga on Friday for a few days solo travel. I'm arriving pretty late, but I'm pretty confident about getting from the airport to the central bus station.

My hotel is about 20 mins from the station, but I don't fancy the walk. And I don't believe it taxis.

Planning to take the tram. What is the best way to get a ticket? I'd probably want to buy my 3-day ticket at this point. Is there a ticket office/machine at the station?

Thanks in advance!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

First, check the actual route of 22. bus that connects airport with city center - it doesn't stop at central bus station, closest stop is Stockmann center (…rigassatiksme.lv/index.html#bus/…map)

If you are planning to go by tram 2, 4, 5 or 10, then go back from bus stop and take pedestrian underpass towards Old Town. If going by 3, 7 or 9 then go to Prāgas street nearby central bus station (check in above mentioned link, there are locations of stops).

If arriving before 9 PM, you can buy tickets in any Narvesen or PlusPunkts kiosks. If later, look for ticket vending machines - I know for sure that they are in underpass that connects railway station with Old Town (one entry is nearby Stockmann, at Gogoļa street), maybe also in underpass from Prāgas street to Old Town. If that fails, you can buy one-ride ticket from tram driver, it costs 0,7 LVL (but make sure you have coins, they don't like when paying with 5 LVL banknotes).

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

I think there is an ticket machine for 3+ days tickets at the 22 bus stop at airport! And it takes also credit cards.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

Thank you both so much for your help.

I had originally ruled out the 22 bus because I'm arriving pretty late, and assumed I would miss the last bus. But actually I expect to be out the airport by 10.30pm so this would be ok.

Originally I was going to go for the Airbaltic airport express bus. Should I go for the 22 over this?

To get to my hotel I need Trams 3, 7 or 9, so definitely need to head to the main bus station (for Centraltirgus) eventually.

If I can get my 3-day ticket from the machine at the airport, that would be superb. I hope you're right! Failing all of that, I assume taxis are readily available at the airport/main bus station?

Thanks again!

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

I always take the bus 22 to Stockmans (beside main bus station) - you will not save much more time with the AirBaltic express..

Bus 22 leave from airport (lidosta) 22:08, 22:23, 22:38, 22:53 and same minutes after 23:00

…rigassatiksme.lv/index.html#bus/…en

If anything happens there are taxis available - but only use AirBaltic taxi or the red taxi´s!

Edited: 31 October 2012, 19:48
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

There is a Narvesen kiosk at the exit from the airport, before the taxi queue. You might be able to get tickets there, too. I bought a card good for ten rides at the Narvesen kiosk across the street from Stockmann's.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

Ok, I will almost certainly get the 22 bus into Riga, and hopefully I will know when to get off the bus! Are the announcements/a display of stops inside the bus?

Thank you for the advice on taxis. If I can at least get to the Stockmann's Centre, I guess I can get a taxi for the final part of my journey from there?

And those are my last questions - thank you again for your help!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

Usually there are announcements in every bus, some have displays too. You can follow the route by yourself - when bus crosses Daugava river, it turns right and has one stop beside the bridge, and next stop is Stockmann center (you will notice big cinema on your right and the Stockmann center itself).

Yes, you can definitely catch a taxi once you get there.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

Great - I think it'll be fine then. I've also downloaded a Riga map app for my phone, so I'll be able to track my location.

Thanks for all your help! All I can hope for now is that it doesn't rain too much this weekend!

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

If you are in Riga centre (Stockmann's) at 23:15 you will catch the Tram 7. It departs from Centrāltirgus, destination Tirdzniecības centrs "Dole" (assuming your hotel is in that direction) at 22:56, 23:19, 23:43, 0:07, 0:30. Here is a link and map: …rigassatiksme.lv/index.html#tram/…en

According to the weather forecasts it will be raining this weekend :(

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in Riga / Buying travel ticket

I made it! 22 bus then the 7 tram. All your advice helped so much. Thank you!

Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations