We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

I am just wondering because i saw a few post about people traveling to Riga alone but they are either Europeans or Americans.I however am a Chinese traveling to Riga alone. lets face it some people are racist. Would it be safe for me? I am not a drinker neither will i sneak out at night for some fun

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Ofcource you would be safe.

As you write " lets face it some people are racist" - yes racists are

in Denmark, Germany, UK, Japan, China, they are everywhere but

you will not see them more in Riga than rest of Europe.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Thank you very much EastwoodDK & Alehins. :)

Naples, Campania...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

agree! If you're looking for somewhere to stay I know a good hostel, so even if you're not planning on heading out at night you'll have plenty of company and I'm sure you'll be able to meet some people to hang around in the day with! here is the link: http://www.famoushostels.com/riga-hostel

Riga, Latvia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Sure you can come without any worries. Some places might be not conceded being as touristic and people could not speak english but you will never find any problems in Riga based on racism. Here is the short list of touristic friendly places - http://www.riga-guide.com/tags/tourists/

Edited: 21 June 2013, 15:13
Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

No problem to travel to Riga alone, no matter what race you are.

If you are not a drinker or intending to go to suspicious night-clubs or some unsafe areas you are as safe as in any other city (I have not been in Singapore though).

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

actualy, when I was in Riga I met a young chineese girl and she didn't compleind for anything;) of course there are rasists everywhere but I think people in Riga (like in whole Latvia) are rather tolerant. So I hope Yuo have a nice stay in Riga!:))

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

Hi, Derel_Choo!

I am from Riga... Don't be uneasy, we are not racists :)

Talking about myself, it is interesting to meet someone from another country and to know more about world! (In overall, people in Latvia are not talkative and smiling)

Just one advise: be careful with your bags, luggage, - tourists are always at risk at any country.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

I wouldn't worry. There are many Japanese/Korean/Chinese restaurants. Loads of Japanese tourists and even a Chinese shop in Riga City Centre. Plus the Chinese embassy is massive in Riga too!

I went to Riga with my girlfriend who is Chinese. Other than the odd look from some of the younger students (mainly the other girls looking twice) there was no issues at all. Even when we was at the ice hockey game, these Latvian girls tried talking in Latvian to my girlfriend so they obviously just thought she was just another local enjoying the game.

10. Re: Chinese 22 travelling to Riga alone ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Riga