We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting latvia

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting latvia

Hi i am thinking of visiting latvia for 8 days from 27 oct 14. I am a female and will be travelling alone. I ve read many negative things about riga but am still hoping to go. I am interested in culture and old towns.

Wonder if someone can advise me on where to go which is safe, where i can get to via public transport.i wont ve a car. Would like to see the venta waterfall to.

Thanks for any advice

Ysh

Monticello
Level Contributor
57 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting latvia

In Riga you will have no problems. Very friendly and safe. Stay in or near Old Town and you can walk most places - it is very flat and few cars in old town. English is spoken by most in Riga.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting latvia

Thank you. Is there places around riga that is safe to travel to by bus. Some places suggested to me were siguida Valmiera are these easy to get to n is it worth going pls.

Thanks for yr help.i am thinking of arriving in villnus. Train to riga Go surrounding areas n then to tallinn. Back to riga to fly off. I ve a total if 10 days.is this doable

Regis ysh

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting latvia

You can visit most places outside Riga,

they are more safe than Ireland.

Sigulda or better Cesis is beautyful and quick

to reach by train.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 05:55
Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting latvia

Thank you

Rujiena, Valmieras...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting latvia

I would say it is complete safe to visit Latvia and Riga for a female tourist. Cant imagine what bad could happen. The only thing is that you need to look after your mobile phone, purse and other personal stuff in public places like markets, bus stations etc. And of course first when you arrive you should buy map of Riga or other city where you would like to go. In any case you can travel around Latvia by public transport. It is not dangerous both in capital or other towns of Latvia.

Mentioned in this post
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting latvia

Thank you for yr reply. I am glad it is safe and am looking forward to my visit.

Regds ysh

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting latvia

I do not want to be a party pooper, however, I think that a warning is in order here. I am a man and I did not feel very safe there at all when I went on a business trip to Riga with two other men about eight months ago. To begin with Latvians and Russians (there are a lot of Russians still living there) are not a friendly bunch – they are generally very aloof, unfriendly and suspicious (especially of the foreigners) and do not like talking to or helping anyone, tourists in particular. You will encounter quite a few scammers, thugs and petty thieves and being a tourist makes you a prime target, especially if you are a woman traveling alone. This is one gloomy, rain-soaked, inhospitable place which is also boring like hell. Bums and beggars are omnipresent always harassing and asking you for change. From my own experience I can tell you just a few facts about this town - everything is overpriced; they have separate menus for the foreigners with prices at least doubled (if you argue with them you run a risk of being intimidated, beaten or raped by Russian mafia); police are corrupt with the ties to the Russian thugs; taxis are a big scam too – they know you are a tourist and will try to rip you off your money. Your phones, tablets and camera must be hidden at all times. Make sure you’re your relatives/friends know your plans and whereabouts – I know of a few cases of tourist women disappearing in Riga (it is not widely publicized but you do not want to be one of them). Generally they prey on the unsuspecting tourists who are accustomed to more civilized countries like Belgium, Netherland, France, Spain, England etc.

Take with a grain of salt any of the rosy and positive responses and review as they are probably written by the chamber of commerce and the organized crime outfits who live off the tourist money.

To summarize it - Latvia is a regurgitation of the post Soviet Union era. When I spent a few days there I felt like I was in a surreal lawless, mafia controlled town “protected” by a corrupt sheriff. No exaggeration there. There are so many places to go to in Europe… Do not go to Riga - save your money for something safer, more interesting and beautiful with rich history and tradition.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
France
France
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
England
England
United Kingdom
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting latvia

Thank you so much EmilSTone for replying and telling me of your experience. I certainly do not want to be a target especilly as i am travelling alone. I will take what you write seriously and mayb find a partner to go with.

Thanks again truly appreciate it.

Regds ysh

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting latvia

Hi try and stay in Old Town. We stayed at the Kolona Hotel which is a good hotel in the center of old town. The hotel can give you a map of the old town which we used in July to get by. We were two women traveling together and did not feel unsafe for 1 minute! Everything in old town is walking distance from the Hotel. Also try to get to the central market, which is an experience on its own. Like most other European countries, you need to walk to see!!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting latvia

Sorry I have to disagree emilstone: I don't know when you visited, but is sure as hell not the Riga that we loved and enjoyed. We were there from the 10th of July until 21 July 2014. In no other Europe city have I ever felt safer. I did not see one beggar, mafia guy or whatever you have encountered. And by the way, there were 90 of our choir girls in Riga walking around and nobody got mugged or even asked for money! Yes, don't do stupid things when you travel alone, that should be the number 1 rule, BUT please do not down a town! Also we found Riga cheap and money spend was worthwhile. Yes there is places that is expensive, but that you will find in every town. We had dinner and lunch at different places everyday and never, no not once, did we encounter prices to be jacked up for foreigners. We went two some places twice and never paid more the second time than the first. Yes some of the older Latvians are not as friendly as the younger ones, but that is also were respect comes in. Don't be a jackass when they don't seem to be friendly, just except it. Remember they have grown up like that. And by the way, you are in their hometown and not in yours!!

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Europe
Europe
World
Get answers to your questions about Riga