We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riga The Truth And Advice

uk
1 post
Save Topic
Riga The Truth And Advice

Just come back from stag do 15 of us Riga went for 2 nights and 3 days it is a very nice city with good roads and nice architecture stayed in city centre (Hotel De Rome) so just walked it to all the clubs no need to catch cabs.

Day one

Got there had some McDonalds (got to have been the slowest service in the world) and went straight out 1st went to skyline bar but found that the clientele were slighty on the older side so decided to go clubbing. Went to club essentials which is virtually next door girls were very sexy and immediately got chatting to them most didn’t seem to mind the English and most can also speak good English. Got to dance with so many different girls however the local men did not like this and were jealous of us got pushed a few times when talking to girls by blokes that had nothing to do with the girls I was talking to. One of my mates got punched in the face after someone told him to stop dancing with a girl. But they have cowardly tactics and punch you when your back is turned. Strayed till 7am then went home.

Day two

Woke up and went bobsleighing we booked it before we went but when we got there it wasn’t what we expected it was a bobsleigh on wheels so before you book such activities make sure find out all the information properly. It also takes about an hour to get there.

Got back and in evening we headed out was feeling rough so we found a kebab place (kebab fix) but it was not up to English standards some of the boys ate in the hotel and had to wait over an hour for there food. We then went to Jockey Club it’s a strip club in between skyline bar and club essentials it was a good atmosphere and was very friendly as we were buying loads of drinks great service to. A dance was about 30 lats for 15mins. Mixed standard of girls some very beautiful though. Stayed there for a few hours then went on to fashion night club as we got there somebody had just been bottled. We went in anyway got chatting to and dancing to girls. Got pushed by someone walking past me and of my mates got pushed by a group of guys. We felt tensions rising. So we left about 5 in the morning. Then group got split a little some boys went to strip club some went home but most of us went to club essentials which finished at 8am. Good laugh all of us pulled. Left at 8am got outside someone tried to start a fight with us because we were talking to the girls outside but we just walked off. The mates that went off to a random strip club got ripped off. The idiots started buying strippers drinks which turned out to be 20lats each giving a total bill of 100lats just for the strippers drinks.

One mate was drunk and was kicked out of essentials got mugged for his phone and money.

Day 3

Chilled had TGI Fridays had some drinks came home.

Final Note

We didn’t instigate any of the trouble we got. Trouble just finds you. No mater how well behaved you are you can still get trouble. Some people say on this forum that the chance of getting trouble in Riga is just the same as any other country I disagree with them because we go out so much in the UK and never get into trouble the locals I felt were jealous of us because all the girls liked us.

Advice

Just stick to the clubs mentioned on this forum especially strip clubs. Reading this forum definitely kept me safe when I was out there. So make sure you read all the posts on all subjects and you will be safe and have a wonderful time. Try not to wonder about on your own.

Even though it might not seem like it this was one of the best trips ive been on and I fully recommend Riga to all stag groups or anybody in general it is a nice place with beautiful women and a good nightlife.

ps the girls are friendly and you can pull out there.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
825 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

Am I suffering from deja vu, or did you decide to give Riga a second try and ended up getting into exactly the same trouble you did when you first posted this message last month? :-)

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

My reaction exactly!

Very insightful, these forums. Scandalous how jealous the Latvians are of our well-behaved, non trouble-seeking, sensible, easily-pulling young men. Shame on you, Riga!

buxton
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

this is spot on! mr binny boy is talkin the truth.trouble does find you,they are sneeky cowards and you have to keep your wits about you.we regularly found people walkin home trying to sell phone (which were old and obviously bin pinched)and a couple of my mates were mugged.i do disagree with binny boy on 1 thing though.all in all riga was a hole!dirty stinkin hole,a bad choice for a mash up.prague is 10 times better.theres little architecture and the museums dont really do english.P.S watch out for the nazi-skinheads!,they seemed very intrested in the english.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

Oh dear, obviously Riga was not down market enough for edalefc's standards.

I wonder how long he spent in Riga; a couple of days? Maybe three at the most?

And this gives him the in depth knowledge to post such a fine pice of work.

There's little architecture? Only some of the best examples of Art Nouveau architecture in Europe.

The museums don't really do English. Is there any reason why they should? Apart from that, the Museum of Occupation 'does English' extremely well.

I have made some 16 or 17 trips to Riga over the past 18 months and spent some 70 days there in total.

I've never been offered an old phone to buy. I am pretty certain I have never seen a Nazi skinhead although, with so many shaven heads amongst the stag groups how am I to tell??

I think the comment "dirty stinkin hole, a bad choice for a mash up" says it all!

All like minded people stay away from Riga. It doesn't want you, it doesn't need you.

Surrey
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

in response to edalefc. In what way are the skinheads in Riga interested in the English?

I spent 3 weeks in Riga and am going back this weekend to visit friends. I'd like to say that I enjoyed the city very much in the days and the nights, didn't go to any strip clubs but went to clubs and had a lovely time. I actually met a group of skinheads in Riga who had no problems talking to me in English while my friend was showing me around.

I found the people very friendly towards me and other tourists I met out there and to be honest I'd rather have a night out in Riga than in London.

6. Re: Riga The Truth And Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations