We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to sigulda

Which Sigulda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
getting to sigulda

Can you get to Sigulda from Tallinn by bus or train? We would like to stop there and see the plae on the way to Riga.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 20:24
3 replies to this topic
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to sigulda

The most convenient way might be to take a bus from Tallinn to Riga and then bus or train from Riga to Sigulda.

The buses from Tallinn to Riga all go along the Riga Bay (Tallinn-Parnu-Ainazi-Salacgriva-Riga) and not through Sigulda.

You can get from Tallinn to Sigulda by train, by taking Tallinn-Valga train (which leaves Tallinn at 6:53am) and then switching to Valga-Riga train (which leaves Valga at 11:43am and stops at Sigulda at 13:49). I think this would take about the same time as Tallinn-Riga-Sigulda trip by bus, because the train is quite slow (it does not use the most direct route between Tallinn and Riga).

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to sigulda

Another solution (besides leaving Tallinn by early morning train) is to take later train to Tartu (with further bus Tartu-Valga) or direct bus Tallinn-Valga. While then switch there for the evening train to Sigulda or go by bus via Valmiera

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to sigulda

Jan,

the fastest way is to step out of the Tallinn/Riga bus in Saulkrasti and then take a taxi to Sigulda (I'm not sure that all busses passes through Saulkrasti). There are just 40 km distance to Sigulda or 36 km to Turaida (I guess that your destination is Turaida Castle, but not Sigulda).

If you take the taxi and have time, then stop for an hour or two at Birini castle (it may be closed on weekends for private events).

http://www.birinupils.lv/en/

I guess that the taxi would cost you about 20 Lats, but negotiate the price first.

Check working hours of your place of interest you are going to.

Good luck!

Vladimir

Reply to: getting to sigulda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sigulda