We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodations in mid-May

Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
accommodations in mid-May

We are looking for recommendations for inexpensive lodging in Monemvasia for 2 nights in May. We've heard staying inside the castle is wonderful, but we are concerned with price and wonder if staying outside would be more cost-effective.

What is the best way to find maybe smaller homes versus hotels?

I also read you should haggle price...how receptive are businesses to that via internet versus when you are in person. Should we wait until we arrive and barter for a room?

thanks

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodations in mid-May

Accommodation is expensive in Monemvassia but there's plenty of good inexpensive accommodation in Gefira at the end of the causeway on the mainland. In my experience it's always more expensive to pre-book on the internet compared with just turning up and finding somewhere on arrival. You'll have no problem getting somewhere in May and €40 a night will get very good accommodation. Just look for the signs.

Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodations in mid-May

Thanks! I had been receiving mixed messages regarding booking in advance versus upon arrival...leaving towards upon arrival.

Are there any places in particular you would recommend (across the causeway)??

Thanks, again!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodations in mid-May

Sorry but I can't really help you there. There are a number of Traveller Reviews on this site which would help you.

Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodations in mid-May

Hi Seabroo, sadly with the dollar so low against the euro anything is going to seem more expensive. There are less expensive places in the Gefira but then I think you miss the experience of Monemvasia. The causeway is a bit of a walk-though lovely- and the reason for going to Monamvasia really is the Kastro. (The Kastro is the castle and the part where there are no cars, the Gefira is the town on the mainland) I have just written a GoList based on our trip last week and would HIGHLY recommend Monopati Apartments. byzantine-escapade.com/article.php3… The owners speak 8 languages between the 2 of them-both are fluent in English and the husband is Greek. The place is comfortable, they will be able to recommend all the best places to go and things to do (if you're there on a Fri, Sat or Sun do NOT miss a night at one of the bars where locals come and sing. I always regret going on vacation and having only a short time in one place and finding out afterwards al the things I missed because I didn't know about them. You can check out my GoList for more info. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16572-The_Pelo…

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodations in mid-May

staying in the castle is great - you should expect to pay £70 euros +

Outside the castle and 15 min walk to get into the castle you can stay for as little as £30

plenty of availability at this time of the year

my advice is arrive early and have a look around

there should not be availability problems

6. Re: accommodations in mid-May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 20:16