We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to crete

uk
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to crete

is there a ferry from monemvasia to crete (with motorcycle) and how often is it please?

i'll be there sept/oct this year.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to crete

No, none. There may possibly be one from Gythion to Kastelli(Kissamou) west crete, but it is only 1-2 per week if it still exists at all.

99% sure you will have to go to Piraeus, no problem from there of course.

http://www.anen.gr/AnenUK.htm

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to crete

The ferry to Crete was operated by Anen Lines, but I can't find any sign of activity from that company recently. Last summer their only ferry, F/B Myrtidiotissa, ran aground on Kythera. Lately Kithera and Antikythera have been served by a ferry from Neapolis, but it doesn't go on to Kissamos, as far as I can tell.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to crete

The 'Vitzentos Kournaros' is now going Piraeus > Kythira > Antikythira > Kastelli(Kissamou)Crete. On Wednesday, noticed by chance.

No use at all to the OP though ....

Showing on the Marine Traffic site tracks, and Piraeus Port Authority, not by GTP.GR though...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to crete

Just to add to the previous info, which was off the mark somewhat.

I've dug around a bit and in fact you can go from the Peloponese to Crete by changing ferries on Kythira.

It seems to be 2 per week from Kythira, one to Kastelli and another to Rethymnon in Crete, on the 'Vitsentzos Kournaros'.

http://www.kythira.info/lane1en.htm

The main ferry link from the Peloponese to Kythira seems to be from Neapolis on the Peloponese, the 'Porfyrousa' ferry, daily.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to crete

Good info, RH!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to crete

connections also possible from Gytheion TO Kythira. The connection from Kythira to Kissamos is perfectly viable in the summer, although connections from Neapoli to Kythira are not daily {not even in June,}

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry to crete

Now we're getting somewhere! Click 'Timetable' on http://www.ferries.gr/lane/ , and you will find the route.

uk
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry to crete

thanks - there seems to be a weekly ferry saturday.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry to crete

Yes, I didn't read that reference properly myself ... Sat/Sun morning from Gythion or Kythira to Kastelli(Kissamou), with the additional option from Kythira on Wed/Thurs morn.

As always you will need to check about a month beforehand it may well change by Sept/Oct, somehow methinks the route/timings may change, oddball ferry routes usually do.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry to crete

Here's the schedule of the 'Porphyroussa' ferry from Neapolis <> Kythira, just an option to complete the info. Greek only but it's easy enough to follow:

www.kythera.gr/gettinghere/porfyrousa.php