We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monemvasia by sea

Which Monemvasia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Monemvasia by sea

As has been posted on here many times, there have been no ferries or hydrofoils running down from Piraeus for several years. I have heard that a weekly service will start in April leaving Piraeus on Friday evenings and returning on Sunday. It appears to be aimed at Athenians wanting a weekend away but it's still better than nothing.

I'll post again with further news.

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monemvasia by sea

This would be wonderful. Have you heard any more about the hydrofoil possibility starting in April? Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monemvasia by sea

That is wonderful news for boat lovers like me who have always wanted to visit but find the drive route restrictive. Please update Philhellene. Thanks so much for that exciting info!

Karen

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monemvasia by sea

OK. Here you go:

www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp…

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monemvasia by sea

Thanks for the new information; I remember arriving at "The Rock" over 20 years ago by Dolphin, great on a calm day.

Just checked GTP , which gives a little more information, though yet to be confirmed. The Vitsentzos Kornaros must be in its last year or so of operation, though it will be more comfortable than a hydrofoil on a rough day.

There is no mention of this route on the Lane Line website,(still too early?).

Thanks again for the news, I'd given up checking over the last few years.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monemvasia by sea

It probably won't appear on the Lane website until the route has been given official approval but that's normally a formality. Let's hope that the route isn't quietly dropped after a year but it's up to the people of south east Lakonia to use it. I hope they will.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monemvasia by sea

me too! That is great news. My first visit to the 'rock" was by hydrofoil in the 1980's...it was love at first sight. I always thought it odd that the route was not more popular, Thanks for the update!

Edited: 21 January 2011, 11:17
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monemvasia by sea

I suppose as more people bought cars they drove to the smaller Aegean village ports. Cheaper than the Dolphins and more reliable . Anything more than a force four and they stopped..

Greek Island Hopping mentions that it is a subsidized route, but I suspect that refers to the old Mirtidiotissa (ran aground 2008 and now too old to sail legally) and communication with Antikithera.

Ferry in and return by bus could work quite well.

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monemvasia by sea

This is really helpful. Avoiding traffic around the Easter holiday is a huge incentive for me to try this out.

Thanks!

9. Re: Monemvasia by sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:15