We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Which Monemvasia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Capo Beacch, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Greetings, so my fiance and I want to go get married somewhere beautiful, it is just going to be she and I and it will be very informal, and after looking around I think that Greece is the best place so we will go there!!! By the way, we will get legally married here in california before we leave, so basically we just want to take the photos there and have somebody just give a symbolic marriage ceremony. SO here are my questions:

-Know of any good photographers that can take us to the beautiful places around and take photos there?

-Anybody know of any Protestant pastors there, or an orthodox, or even just anybody willing to give us a symbolic ceremony? just like 15 minutes is all it would be needed

-We will come in May, will there be many tourists around or will there not be that many people?

-What is a good hotel? we really like Kinsterna Hotel & Spa, but is it too far from town? and, its expensive. I also really like Likinia, but its hard for me to tell what is better.. But i really would love a view like this tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g285708-d215095…

-Are there any great beaches near that you can recommend?

-What is the temperature like in May?

-Are the people who live there going to be annoyed with us that we want to take photos and stay awhile in their home? We promise to give them our business!!!

-So, I was thinking we will stay in Monemvasia for 3-4 days, and then spend our final 3-4 days on an island. I think that is we were to stay at Santornin that would be cool, so that brings me to my next set of questions:

------Do i fly into Monemvasia or do i fly into AThens? if AThens, how much and how do i get from athens to Monemvasia?

------When we are done with Monemvasia how do we get to Santorini, how much is it, and how long does it take?

------And then how much from Santorini back to AThens (or can i fly direct oout of Athens? we are coming from los angeles)?

-------My last question is this: we really like santorini, we love the whit buildings, the windmills, the blue domed churches, BUT is there another island that is as beautiful like that but maybe is a little less touristy, and is maybe closer to Monemvasia, and especially a good beach?

Wow, that is a lot, thanks for any help!! Also, anyone know a good travel agent or should i book myself!!!!???

Blessings to all,

jason

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Bump

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Not quite sure why #1 bumped up someone else's post but anyway.......

Can't help with wedding plans but can answer other queries. First, you can't fly to Monemvasia or anywhere near it. Best bet is a flight to Athens from where Monemvasia is a good 4 hours.To get to Santorini you have to get back to Athens and take a ferry. That's at least a whole day of your time. Then to get back to Athens aiirport, fly or take a ferry back and then the metro to the airport.

Kinsterni is not in the Kastro of Monemvasia but several miles away at Agios Stefanos so you'll have to find somewhere else if you want to stay in the Kastro. The area is quiet in May unless you arrive at Easter (first weekend in May this year). The weather can be good - today for example, it's 24C and sunny but feels hotter.It can however also be cool and wet so you need to be prepared.

The best beach in the immediate area is Pori, about 3 miles north of Monemvasia but for the best beaches in the area, you need to head west. The best at the moment is Plitra, a lovely sandy beach and the only one in the area which has open tavernas in May unless you arrive late in the month when others may be opening although most stay closed until June. To get to Plitra, drive in the direction of Sparti, take a left turn to Asopos after you pass Sikia then go through Papadianika and keep straight on. You can't miss it.

Capo Beacch, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Greetings and thanks Philhellene!!!

Do you know how much it costs to fly from Athens to Santorini? Or, how much the ferry (I think its an hour flight, how long for the ferry?)?

What exactly is the "kastro", is that like the downtown area of Monemvasia? I loved that area, and want to be there. However Kinsterni at at Agios Stefanos was amazing, perhaps i can do 1 0r 2 days at at Agios Stefanos? Is there places to go and things to see there? And, how far is it from Monemvasia?

Also, for Monemvasia, do you think it would be good to spend our entire honeymoon there or might we get bored? If we cant make it to Santorini, where would you reccomend for a second leg of our trip, or would you reccomend just do Monemvasia? Or would you say just do Santorini?

Lastly, am I hearing right that we can kind of talk down prices on our hotels there? That wuld be great because we are a poor couple and would love to stay there in our budget... WHat is the best view, most romantic hotel in Monemvasia?

Thanks so so so so much for your help!!!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

For answers to questions about getting to Santorini, you need to ask questions on that forum.

Hotel prices can be negotiated if you approach it in the right way but if Kinsterni is a place that you're considering, you can afford anywhere in Greece.

Capo Beacch, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Thank you so much for your response again! Are you a travel agent? I ask because we need to see how much to rent a car from athens to Monemvisa, and if you think its safe for two Americans who have never been to Greece before to get there?

Also, is there any place in the area, where you can reccomend to take photos for our wedding pictures? We like old old buildings and maybe cliff tops? We just need like 20 minutes so we dont want to really rent any place, but we dont really want folks around (we iwll be ther ein early May, so soon!!!)

Thanks so so so much!!!

Jason

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Hi Jason and congratulations on your wedding!

I will try to answer a few of your questions, although in questions like "will I get bored in Movemvasia for 4 days?" noone can really tell except you.

The weather will in most probability be warm and sunny but not too hot in May, like 25celcius, without excluding a chance of rain.

Kastro, mentioned by Philhellene above is the Castle. There are many hotels in the Castle area, most with great views but with small rooms, as they are renovated old castle-houses.

I found these 2 english versions of websites which might help you with your questions:

monemvasia.gr/en/romance/weddings-and-christ…

marryme.com.gr/marryme/view/civil_and_orthod…

About going to Santorini, you would indeed have to drive back to Athens and fly or ferry to Santorini. Santorini is wonderful and very romantic IMO, and May would be ideal to visit because it doesn't have the crowds and the prices of July and August. So your best bet would probably be to rent a car from Athens Airport, drive south to Monemvasia (yes, you would be safe), use the car to explore the beautiful area there, go to beaches such as Plitra as Philhellene suggested. Since you are into beaches you can also make a daily excursion to Elafonisos, which has one of the best beaches in the Mediterranean:

www.simoscamping.gr/index.php/en/information

http://www.elafonisos.biz/en/

http://www.elafonisos-island.com/

You can stay longer there but it will be pretty quiet in May.

After your stay in the region, you can drive back to Athens, drop the car at the airport or Pireas port (most rental companies have multiple offices where you can drop a car) and move on to Santorini. For rental car info check here:

http://www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageID=1056

www.rentalcars.com/en/airport/gr/ath/…

http://www.budget-athens.gr/

Alternatively, another beautiful island closer to Monemvasia is Kythira (ferry from Neapoli), but maybe it would also be very quiet in May, depending what you are actually looking for:

http://www.kythera.gr/en/#

Finally, you can also take the hydrofoil from Monemvasia to Spetses island and then from Spetses on to Athens:

http://www.ferryto.co.uk/ports/Spetses.html

http://www.greeka.com/saronic/spetses/

Hope I helped, you have lots to think about! Have a great honeymoon!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

>Finally, you can also take the hydrofoil from Monemvasia to Spetses island and then from Spetses on to Athens:<

Sorry but you can't. This route hasn't run for a number of years.The 'ferryto' website is a long way out of date. Otherwise, you have answered all Jason's questions except where to have photos taken. My suggestion would be the little square with the old cannon outside the church of Christos Elkomenos in the kastro. It's a public place but choose your time (early morning) and you should have it to yourself.

If you want professional photos, there are a couple of photographers in Molaoi who could probably do the job.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Hi Philhellene! Sorry for the mistake with the hydrofoil to Spetses, didn't know it had stopped. I remember seeing a ferry at the port of Monemvasia last summer though, someone told me it had Pireas as a final destination, do you know where else it stops and if it's running this summer too?

About the photographers in Molaoi, having got married in the region recently, I was advised not to trust them because of the really bad price/value ratio (i.e. old fashioned photography in outrageously high prices). So I hired a photographer from Athens for my wedding and so did other friends that got married there. It all depends what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay of course.

The castle of Monemvasia is amazing for photos, you can't go wrong with that for sure!

Thanks again!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

The last few years (3?) there has been high season ferry which leaves Piraeus on an early Friday evening , first stop Monemvasia just before midnight , carrying on to Crete, Kissamos. It returns through Monemvasia on Sunday , picking up around midnight, landing at Piraeus at 6 am, Monday.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Next month/may 2013 wedding/honeymoon!!! A few questions????

Yes, it's running again this year between the 14th June to the 6th September stopping in Kythira, Anti Kythira and Kissamos.