We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

Which Szczawnica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

My husband and I are going to this area at the end of June. Rather than the doing the raft trip is it possible to go in canoes / kayaks? We kayak a fair bit at home, so not looking for a guide - just need a company which will hire us kayaks or a canoe and transport them for us (and pick them up at the end). Do you think we'll find this easily in Szczawnica if we just turn up on the day?

Also is this possible to do as a day trip from Zakopane using public transport? Or would we be better to stay a night in Szczawnica?

Thanks very much

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

Hey Geraldine - I am looking for the same answer. What did you wind up doing?

Thanks!

Meghan

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

Meghan, someone was asking about rafting and I came acgross a company offering canoe excursions on the Dunajec - deatls escaoe me now, but google something like Dunajec canoes Zakopane and you ought to find it

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

All,

http://szymsport.pl/

www.fun-time.pl/splywy_kajakowe,130,p.html

rivent.pl/wypozyczalnia-kajakow-i-pontonow

(the latter two seem to be Polish-only)

Regarding your trip from Zakopane... You can do it as a day trip, but I think it is better to stay a night or two in Szczawnica... Why hurry when there's so much to see ?

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

We are doing the same, we have chose to hire a car, as the coach trip we found worked out at about £60 each. The hire car has cost £90 for, four days, and gives the added flexibility to go to other places which have no public transport, or are generally hard to get to. I can't get excited about using busses whilst on holiday, it is a chor too much using them here in the UK without adding the misery to a holiday too. (my personal opinion).

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge

LOL, Dewsbury, you have t understand that Poland is still catching up! I've seen home-made cars in some places, plus lots of horses and carts as we travel about in the cuntryside. Poles have generally embraced personal transport, so as I've said elsewhere central invesm=tment has been into the roads and a s many people as can afford them run cars and the rest use a mega casual network of coachesm buses and minibuses to get around. Buses are cheap, frequet and, as a general rule, fast than the trains where they compete.

On the other hand, like most places, trains don't go where you want them to - they may go from somewhere fairly close to somewhere fairly close to your destination, but that's where it ends. You still have to rely opn buses or cars (taxis) to get where you're going.

You'll see the excellent public transport system in operation in Krakow.

I know from the places you;re going that you will enjoy this part of PL. Enjoy the freedom of your hire car, too; get off the beaten track and pause whenever you see something that attracts your attention. That's how you get to know a country.

Reply to: Kayaking / canoeing through Dunajec Gorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Szczawnica